What's new

DVD Covers that look alike (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
While I think that the identical DVD covers are pretty funny, the main problem here is how bad and lacking in originality the actual movies with the imitation covers are...

Ted

JoN:MiLLeR

Agent
.... wish i had more then 15 posts so i can show you... but.... Thirteen Ghosts and Dream Theater: Metropolis 2000

same face almost lol... i'll come back when i've explored the forums more..

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Just to add to the Ghost Ship comparsion. See the movie art for Death Ship-- can't post images or links just yet, so go to allmovie.com and search for "Death Ship."

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I think some of the comparisons are apt, but sometimes a studio will use a poster from one film to put a deliberate spin on the poster of another. Thus, the Problem Child poster, which was intentionally riffing on the one for Parenthood. Sort of like an anti-parenthood.

The real artwork ripoffs tend to occur down in the B-movies, as evidenced by that shot for Ghost Rig. I was recently flipping through a bargain bin in an FYE and noticed a whole bunch of B-movie and TVMovie fare that had covers similar to those for A-list releases. Maybe if more studios would go back to using actual ARTISTS to create the work, instead of just slapping gigantic side-lit photographs of star heads and groupings of sullen horror-movie teenagers, it would be a little more difiicult for the cheapo producers to rip them off.

As I'm not sure how to post images here, I'll just mention one poster where they made NO effort to disguise the original. The painted theatrical release poster for the Simon Wincer film Quigley Down Under was a near-exact duplicate of the poster from an earlier movie called Lassiter, both films starring Tom Sellect. They basically used the same design for the painting (big side-lit Selleck head, supporting character smaller in front of a circle (Alan Rickman in front of the sun in Quigley; the leading lady Whoever in front of the moon in Lassiter) and, if I recall, a gun running along side his face in both versions. From an artistic standpoint, I always loved the design of these posters, and for years kept a screener bearing that version of the Quigley art, because it didn't end up on the release tapes.

There's also a newer B-movie I've seen lately called The Hundred Mile Rule or Thousand Mile Rule or something like that and the poster is highly reminiscent of the one for the garbage remake of Gone in Sixty Seconds. There's a tonne of this crap out there.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yeah, but Death Ship's art was the original. I remember seeing the poster in a local video store in the early 80s.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
While these aren't rip offs, rather parodies, I think this trend to redo the Conan poster (or a mutation of it) is getting a bit stale. (Is the Conan cover the fist one to use this setup?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks