What's new

DVD-A question (1 Viewer)

Chris Hopper

Agent
I hope this hasn't been asked before.... Can I play DVD audio disks on my Pioneer DV-353 DVD player? The book says that it will not, but I have read in some home theatre magazines that some players that say they don't sometimes will play DVD audio. Any help would be appreciated.
chris

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Chris, you can generally play every DVD-A on the market on any DVD player out there. The thing is, you will only get the music in Dolby Digital or DTS if you do not own a true DVD Audio player, losing out on the benefits of the high resolution mix.

J

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
How much better is the "high-resolution" mix as compared to the DD or DTS mix?

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Tony, I had the same question. I have two Yes DVD-As and I've been extremely impressed with the audio quality and I'm able to play them in DD or dts only, I don't have a DVD-A player (yet?). It blows my mind to think that as good as these sound now that they are capable of even better audio!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
........and I've been extremely impressed with the audio quality and I'm able to play them in DD or dts only,......
Same here.

Usually when people compare the DTS or DD tracks to the dvd-audio tracks it is the high frequencies that are most improved when playing the dvd-audio track. They are no longer grainy-ish or soft sounding (to me) and the fine details are better. These are the same details that make the music go from sounding just "good" to sounding real (that is, if the recording engineer did his job right!).

But the DD/DTS tracks are perfectly listenable IMO--especially the DTS one, even if you can't afford a dvd-audio player yet. In other words, the MUSIC comes through fine.

LJ

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Usually when people compare the DTS or DD tracks to the dvd-audio tracks it is the high frequencies that are most improved when playing the dvd-audio track. They are no longer grainy-ish or soft sounding (to me) and the fine details are better. These are the same details that make the music go from sounding just "good" to sounding real (that is, if the recording engineer did his job right!).
On my system the low frequency tracks smooth out quite a bit also. For example, once I compared the high resolution PCM with the DD and DTS tracks on the Steely Dan "Two Against Nature" track. On track 4 "Janie Runaway" the main bass once past the intro line is a three note groove. On the DD track, the second note was far louder than the first and third note. I know what you're thinking, reposition your sub, you have a hump at that frequency. Well, curiously enough, the DTS track, without moving the sub or changing any parameters, evened out that hump a great deal, there still was a slight volume difference. With the High resolution track, all three notes were the same volume. QUite interesting and revealing.

In my comparisons, the DD track is usually fair, and the DTS track is usually quite good, with the advanced resolution track, naturally, the best of the bunch.

Chris Hopper

Agent
I have also seen that there is video included on some DVD audio, is this compatible with regular DVD players as well? Thanks
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimmyboombotts
Recent bookmarks