What's new

DualDisc advisory....first Sony, then Pioneer. Now Onkyo.... (1 Viewer)

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
I've bought a couple of them now and both play in everything I've tested them in, including my daughters boom box, my sons compact stereo and the car player. They play without a hitch...

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle

You can burn the cd side and the dvd video side. You cannot burn the dvd-audio content from the AUDIO_TS folder on the dvd video side. The high rez audio content has better encryption than dvd video, and it hasn't been broken. If the disc only has content in the VIDEO_TS folder, then you're ok.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I did notice there were an awful lot of CD + DVD packages advertised during the holidays. Methinks maybe they were originally supposed to be DualDisc releases, but then all the hardware reports started coming in. But maybe not too. :)

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
I would say not. DVD + CD combos are pretty normal.

These adviseries are nothing but CYA announcements. It hasn't slowed the format. There have been plenty of new titles announced in the last few weeks, including quite a few from Sony.

Like any new format software is slowly being released, but I think we'll see a lot more before we see a lot less.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that no one posted this. Do you know why the CD layer is limited to 60 min on a DualDisc? In the Jan Stereophile. Because the CD layer is thinner than it's supposed to be, CD players have a harder time reading the data. So they space out the pits to try and compensate. Hence, shorter length. But that doesn't fix the problem entirely. They made some comment about the error correction in a CD player get a workout on these discs. They also made the comment that playing the CD layer of a brand new DualDisc is like playing a 5 year old scuffed up CD. I didn't know that. Obviously, I'd be more interested in the DVD-A side (if present), but I hadn't seen posted anywhere that the CD layer of a DD just is not as good quality as a normal CD.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
It has been mentioned -- that is, after all, why Sony and Phillips won't let them call it a "CD" side or use the CD logo. It just doesn't meet the specs, as I've said before. The depth is too shallow [which interferes with laser focussing], the track pitch is too great, &c. If a standard CD is taken as the quality reference, this thing is nothing more than a piece of trash like a tin-can lid -- also a reflective circle with grooves. No resemblance.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
How exactly are these different than the handful of 2-sided "DVD+CD" discs that came out a couple years ago? I have one called "One Big Trip" that has a documentary on the DVD side and appears to be dual-layer, and has a CD on the other side that runs around 70 minutes.
I've also got a single by The Calling "Wherever You May Go" that has about 3 songs on the CD side and I think 2 videos on the DVD side, it's obviously very short but the Compact Disc logo is actually printed on the CD side.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I knew that they couldn't call it a "CD" because the thickness was different, but I actually didn't know what the effects of that were! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks