What's new

Dts (1 Viewer)

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
My fried just asked me if he can get DTS out of a DVD with a DTS decoder and a Reciever that does not have one. I never tried it so I have no idea. Do any of you know the answer. Thanks!!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Yes you can, but the player has to have a decoder and a 6ch output (if it has a decode it will have the 6 output jacks; left, right, center, left surround, right surround, LFE). Then the receiver has to have a 6ch input (not all receivers have this, although any mid level or higher receiver with in the last couple years should).

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the answer I thought that was the case. I shall let him know so he can look and see what connections need to be made

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
Well actually we tried it out. Dvd player was hooked up only with a digital coaxil to the reciever. and he does get DTS. But there is no DTS decoder onboard with the reciever. Well I guess he will be able to enjoy DTS now like me :). LONG LIVE DTS!!!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
There has to be one in the receiver then. Won't work without one period. And the DVD player can't send a decoded signal through either a coaxial or optical digital connection. Some receivers even require you to specifically select that a DTS bitstream is going to be received (ie they don't auto detect PCM/DD/DTS bit streams).

Are you sure the DVD player is set to pass the DTS bit stream (most dvd players when shipped have this turned off and require you to turn this on in their menu, ie no disc present) and that you have selected the DTS audio track from the discs menu?

What receiver and dvd player does your friend have?

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
Yup I am 100 percent sure that I am getting DTS sound. how I now is I put in a DTS disk of JP3 on my friends DVD player. (it is his set up). the reciever is on auto detect. I know that the reciever is a Kenwood 405 I think. Anyways the DVD player(I forget he make of it). Is only hooked up throught the coaxil cable. And yes it was set up for DTS. Now. What got me was that When we turned on the movie all the indicators lit up for all speakers. But I am pretty sure this reciever does not have DTS. But every speaker had it's own discreet channel. Can anyone explain this? I am seriously not trying to pull a fast one on you guys. This site has been a great help in building my own setup. Thanks for your help.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Do you mean the Kenwood 504 system which has the VR-507 receiver. This would explain why you can run DVDs in the DTS mode.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the receiver is not DTS capable, the only other reason it would work is if it is getting a PCM signal, which any DD receiver can decode. Unfortunately, this is a Prologic downmix and is not the best sound. Why not just run it in DD, since he knows that works? If all the speaker indicators lit up, it is probably DTS capable.

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for your help. Nope it is not a Kenwood 500 series. It is a VR 405. Actually I use to have the 507. Anyways as far as it being a PCM signal, I didn't know a PCM signal could run through the digital line. But no it is not PCM. Like I said all speakers are running there own channel. This means that somehow this old reciever that says nothing about DTS actually in someway does dts. Or the DVD player he has is outputting it someway to the reciever. Anyways those are the only 2 conclusions I can come up with. either way. His system is DTS compatible. I guess he should stop questioning and enjoy!!! Hahahaha!!!! Thanks guys!!!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well I did a little looking Demetri.
http://www.dvd.com/product_movies.as...ctnumber=33277
I could not find a JP3 disc that only contained the DTS sound track. The disk contains DD English, DD French and DTS. When this happens DD english is the default language. Makes me wish I had the disc so I could be more specific here, but anyways. At the menu screen for the dvd you have to choose DTS in order for it to be used. There is usually an option labelled "setup" or "audio" or "languages" or something similar. Once in there you will select the DTS track. When you do this it will pop up a warning screen telling you that you need specific hardware to hear this track and ask you if you are sure you wish to select it. Only after you do this will the dvd player output the DTS bitstream (provided the DVD player itself has also been set to output the DTS bitstream, check your players manual for instruction on how to do this).
Reguardless I also found this:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...?productId=616
The Kenwood VR405 does not support DTS. There is absolutely no way, period, you can get DTS audio from that reciever using a digital connection. My guess is you are getting the DD track.
As a final side note, even on some very nice audio setups. I'm talking $1500-$3000 it is very difficult to hear the difference between DTS and DD. You need some really high end equipment for the difference to be obvious. On HTiB type setups you couldn't tell the difference (unless different master recordings were used to create the DD and DTS tracks, then you could).

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
He was undoubtedly listening to the DD track. That is actually one of my pet peeves about DVD....you can't set a default track and have it automatically selected. Some DVD's default to DD 2-channel and some to DD 5.1. Some discs make you jump through hoops to get DTS out of them (like Fast and the Furious where you have to go into the options menus instead of being able to press the "Audio" button on my remote....very irritating!).

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
K we did a little experiment with my copy of the Haunting signature series. And my 2 DVD players. (one of them a ps2) Now first we played it in his dvd player and played it. The DTS track worked!! again all channels where discreet and all speakers lit up. Then we connected my DVD player up to it. No go there was no sound when we selected DTS.(but I get DTS at home cause I have a decoder). And now the shocker. We hooked up my ps2. And again got DTS(discrete). I know know it is not playing a DD track because the DD track on that is not 5.1. Also we set everything correctly for DTS. And went into actual DVD menu to select DTS. Even says DTS on front panels of our DVD player. Minus the ps2 because there is no display on the front of that. Once again I am not pulling anyones leg one bit. This is just as weird sounding to me as it is to you. This is why I have been presuing this topic for sooo long. If anyone even has a non DTS reciever and has a DTS DVD please try this with at least a ps2. I would like to here your results.
Also I agree that there has to be some explination. That there is no way he can get DTS. And I am still questioning it. But this last test got me scratching my head. Anyway thanks for all your responses. PEACE!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks