What's new

DTS-HD The Next Generation Surround Sound!! (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
DTS Unveils DTS-HD Brand For High Definition Media Formats

DTS (Digital Theater Systems, Inc.) (NASDAQ: DTSI) unveiled today DTS-HD, as the new trademarked brand name for its lossless technology. Previously known under working name DTS++, the DTS-HD mark will denote media, source players and decoders that are compliant with the next generation high definition disc formats, Blu-ray Disc and High Definition DVD (HD-DVD). In addition to debuting the new brand and logo, DTS will support DTS-HD with a branding campaign to roll out in conjunction with the introduction of the new optical disc formats. DTS announced in September that its core 5.1-channel surround sound was selected as mandatory audio technology for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc, and DTS-HD (DTS++ in some Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD documents), was also chosen as an optional feature in both formats.

DTS-HD is a set of extensions to the Coherent Acoustics audio coding system, which also encompasses DTS Digital Surround, DTS-ES, and DTS 96/24. The introduction of DTS-HD will provide manufacturers and content providers with a complete range of DTS-branded technologies, incorporating lossless technology for next generation formats.

Signifying “best in class” technology, DTS-HD can support a virtually unlimited number of discrete surround sound channels, can downmix to 5.1- and two-channel, and can deliver audio quality at bit rates extending from DTS Digital Surround up to lossless. The only audio solution to provide up to lossless operation and backwards compatibility in a single bit stream, DTS-HD provides the highest quality audio performance available in the new format standards, while still being capable of playback in legacy equipment, such as existing home theater systems.

“We chose the name DTS-HD for the new formats in the consumer market because of both the strong association of DTS as a premium brand, and HD (high definition) as representing highest quality in the consumer electronics market,” said Brian Towne, Vice President, Consumer / Pro Audio Division at DTS. “As the industry prepares to introduce new hardware for next generation formats, DTS is developing a marketing campaign to support both manufacturers and content providers, while developing brand awareness among consumers. We are confident the marketplace will see that DTS-HD offers a tremendous opportunity for consumers to experience the best possible surround sound, while also providing crucial flexibility to hardware licensees and studios.”

DTS personnel will be available to answer questions regarding DTS-HD at the 117th AES Convention at Booth #532 at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, October 28-31, 2004.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator

Good question...I was just reading a little article about Dolby Digital Plus....the report says it will be utilized via HDMI connection. I guess I better start saving for this next wave of HD stuff.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
i'd kill just to have some DTS 96/24 material..pretty useless to have a receiver capable of it, but to not have any sources other than 1 or 2 music CD's that I dont enjoy..nice to hear the news on the new format though..

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Always nice to see new technologies and advances. Hopefully see some more support for the existing formats increase as we move forward to these new ones.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I'm not clear on something.

Are DTS and Dolby going to take sides on this new format war, or will they support both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
DTS, DTS-HD and Dolby Digital are options for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. At the moment it appears that Dolby Digital Plus and MLP will only be available on HD-DVD. DTS-HD is the only lossless format supported by both HD optical formats.

Both Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD will be compatible with existing legacy decoders. With lossless audio and the possibility of new audio channels on the horizon, I wouldn't personally be rushing out to buy any new processors or receivers until products begin to appear with support for these formats.

If you run a search, you will find quite a lot of discussion about this subject from around October, when this press release was issued.

Adam

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Guess, I'll be pushing HK's flagship receiver back. If I'm going to spend 2,000 on a receiver, might as well make sure it has as many bells and whistles it can.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

I'm in the same boat. I was going to upgrade from my 8 year old Denon 3200. However I think I'll wait for HDMI switching as well as DD+ and DTSHD for my next receiver.

John_F

Stunt Coordinator
Could someone please explain what "mandatory" and "optional" means?

Does mandatory mean that every Disc must have a DTS track, or does it mean that every player must be able to "pass" a DTS track if present?

Thanks,
John Flegert

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't mean the disc has to have a DTS track rather it means they need to be able to pass the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks