What's new

DTS 24/96 - Do you need a special player? (1 Viewer)

Rob Peloski

Agent
Just a quick question. For DTS 24/96 playback, do you need a special DVD player? Or will any player that outputs DTS work provided your Receiver can accept the signal?

Any info is appreciated

Thanks

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Rob: Your 2nd question is the right one...

If a disc is DTS 96/24 (such as Queen A Night at the Opera), my Denon 3803 receiver will auto recognize the DTS signal as 96/24 and play it accordingly. To my ears, it might be a tad better but not night and day. (And if your receiver/decoder can't do DTS 96/24, you just get regular DTS as usual.)

Now when I switch to DVD-A, that's a whole 'nuther step up...

Rob Peloski

Agent
Cool. I just switched from my Sony DVP-C670D DVD player to a Sony DVP-NC665P (wanted Progressive Scan and having DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, MP3 is a nice bonus)

So far I'm very happy with my new player. However I did notice that my old player could output PCM 24/96 via the SPDIF but my new one can't (it downsamples to 48KHz).

That part isn't a big deal (the only PCM 24/96 I have is jazz song on a calibration disc I hardly touch). But I was concerned that this player wouldn't work for DTS 24/96 when I get a new receiver (true it's not a huge difference, but if I have the capability I'd still like to be able to use it).

I'm not worried about SACD/DVD Audio...when I'm ready for that I'll get a seperate player for it or something.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks