What's new

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos in 5.1! (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A new track was played on XM last night. Unfortunately, I missed it.

Brian: I'll be at Jaxx on Sunday for the Doro show, so I should see you guys play.

Jason

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Wow. I'm only half way done with the album, but I can't help but give my first impressions. It is h-e-a-v-y. So much so, that I'm afraid a lot of you guys won't like it. I am absolutely loving what I am hearing so far. I'm finding myself turning the volume way louder than I usually do for a first listen to a new album, and my head is bobbing and I have caught myself smiling a few times.

One small complaint is that James' vocals are a little buried, but then again I have always found him the weakest part of the band (I still like him, don't get me wrong).

The goose bumps haven't kicked in yet, but I bet they will after I digest this. I would say this is the best first impression of any DT I've heard since I was in college and I heard Images and Words for the first time.

Ok, I'm going back in for the second half.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I actually don't think it is THAT heavy. It isn't as heavy as Train Of Thought.

I'll need more time with it to form an opinion. Right now, I haven't quite gotten a hold of it yet.

Jason

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I never really thought that Train of Thought was as heavy as everyone said, although I really did and do like it. I like this album a lot, although first impressions don't mean everything.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I just finished listening to it for the first time. I definitely like it more than I thought I would on the first pass. There are some sections I'm not loving but I think I'll get used to them. Impossible to decide on one listen but right now I'm pretty happy with it.

My first impression of SC is far more positive than my first impression was for ToT. I really didn't like that one.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
First impression:

Best song - #7 The Ministry of Lost Souls. This will be a classic, though the instrumental section is a bit too long.

I think #8 (In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 2) is good but the "Dark Master" vocals are distracting.

#2 (Forsaken) sounds very much like Evanescence to me. #6 (Prophets of War) is another Muse tribute (similar to Never Enough on Octavarium).

Overall: Musicianship is there, production is there, but lyrics and vocals are regressing, sometimes to the point of being juvenile. Portnoy's lyrics are fine (usually based on his AA saga) as well as LaBrie's (usually political). Petrucci seems to want to keep writing about fantasies, monsters, etc. One disturbing thing is that the lyrics for In the Presence of Enemies were supposedly lifted from an obscure comic book but I didn't see any credit/attribution in the liner notes. I'm not familiar with the comic, but it was mentioned in Portnoy's website.

I would say I already like half of the songs and a couple others will grow on me.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Best Buy is selling the 2-disc SE this week for $14.99, but I think that price is only good online. You can order it for in-store pickup though (I did yesterday).

First impressions: Not quite as heavy as Train of Thought, and Prophets of War does indeed sound like a Muse rip-- um, tribute. ;)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
After several more listens, here are my latest thoughts, in order of song preference:

The Ministry of Lost Souls
I still like this one the best, though the instrumental section prior to the excellent unison section doesn't fit real well.

Repentance
Very nice "breather," though some may call it boring. The "ah" section reminds me of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here finale.

Forsaken
Well constructed song that should be somewhat radio-friendly.

Prophets of War
Most people seem to hate this one, yet despite disagreeing with the lyrics, I think it's cool. In addition to the obvious Muse influence, there is a ton of Queen as well (especially if you watch the DVD documentary).

In the Presence of Enemies (Parts 1 and 2)
I think if you took all of Part 1 and added half of Part 2 (everything except the "Dark Master" cheese and the instrumental wankery) this would be an awesome song. As with The Ministry of Lost Souls, some of the chord progressions are truly breathtaking and haunting.

Constant Motion
Great guitar and keyboard solo, still don't care for the Metallica vibe.

The Dark Eternal Night
Just not connecting with the distorted vocals.

The issue of Petrucci not citing his source for ITPOE is taking on a life of its own. It's kind of disappointing to see fans defending or dismissing the blatant copy/paste of another person's work without credit. http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm....682061&mpage=1

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I like this album a lot. "Prophets of War" is by far the best track with outstanding lyrics. Thank God people are waking up to the BS going on.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The album debuted at #19 on the Billboard charts, which is DT's best ever ranking. Maybe the new label's efforts are paying off. Supposedly there will be a video for Constant Motion coming out soon.

Can't wait to see them in Chicago (Rosemont) on August 10.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I'm enjoying this release more and more with each listen.
I watched the DVD "making of" earlier this week, pretty cool insight on how the writing/recording process goes down.
Overall a solid disc, good to see these guys keeping up the intensity album after album.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A buddy of mine has informed me that the Virgin Megastore (in the Bay Area, at least) is selling the 2-disc SE for $10.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Nice meeting you as well. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to listening to the CD yet, but it is a nice gesture to give it out for free.

Jason

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Brian, were you guys opening for DT? I thought you were talking about a DT show. :)

At any rate, congrats on having a good show!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks