What's new

dreadlocks? (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Okay. I got the whole "Sacred...religious ritual... statement of racial pride" thing. I understand that completely. I endorse that.

Please explain the "fashion" end of it. Please explain non-racial-pride applications.

Are dreadlocks cool? Are they attractive? Easy to care for? What's the fashion-dread point of view? Anyone have them and want to talk about them?

MC

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
In H.S I had many friends who wore dreads. They did it because they liked the look. Now these were white guys and gals with dreads and they did it for style.

One of my friends had dreads for two years and eventually shaved her head to get rid of them when she discovered that she had lice. Before the lice occurred though, she itched all the time from not washing her hair regularly.

With dreads, the hair is just so nasty and filthy. You can wash it but it is never completely clean in my opinion. It smells and sometimes there is such a bad build up of dandruff it looks like you were playing out in the snow. That's mostly due to bad hygiene, but dreads on the whole are not very clean.

One of my guy friends that had dreads for many years never had an issue with itching, but he did get sores around the ends of individual dreads near the scalp. His dreads were done by twisting them and ratting the hair, which was what caused the sores.

I use to want dreads, becuase I had seen some really nice ones, but honestly I don't think I could take the itching, the teasing of the hair, the smell and just the overall maintenance.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i don't think all dreads are dirty? i've met a few people with some rockin' dreads and they smelled just fine and seemed quite clean (and i took a close look because i used to think the same ting).

i think dreads are cool. for the most part, you still don't see them all that often. one guy i met had dreads, but this really nice suit - i thought he looked cool. i think they still have some sense of style but, as with most fashion, it takes a certain person/personality to pull it off.

if i could, i think i'd try dreads myself ... but i'm asian. so there ya go....

Kevin T

Screenwriter

those are questions you need to answer for yourself. personally, i'd love to do my hair up in dreads, but working for the state government, they frown on things like that. i guess i'm luck to be able to get away with my long hair in general though.

kevin t

Chris Derby

Second Unit

aw man, you're asian!! i never knew...

now i have to go back and read ALL your posts to see if, with this new information, they now hold a different meaning.

=)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I've seen authentic dreadlocks on many Jamaicans including Bob Marley. There are dirty dreadlocks and clean dreadlocks...just like there's clean and dirty hair of any type.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Any item of fashion or hairstyle. Please explain.

There is no "explanation". People like things, they do them. A style catches on, becomes a fad, fades. There is no rational explanation for these things, no justification, and no need for one. Ruffs, codpieces, nipple-piercings, shoes with curled toes, shaved heads, beards - explain.

Regards,

Joe

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
That guy on American Idol has some of the cleanest dreds I've ever seen. I bet they smell faaaaantastic! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Codpieces? Yipes!

I dunno, I was just wondering. I can go for about five days, in extreme, without washing my hair. And even then, I'm all itchy and gross about it. And I wouldn't want anyone near me when my hair is filthy like that. I can't stand to have my head resting on my pillow when my hair is like that. I just couldn't figure out how you do the dread thing without getting yourself all grossed out. (And, I wear my hair very long, so, five days in and I feel like I'm dreading out!)

I didn't know there were "clean" and "dirty" dreads.

You know, I just like that I can always turn to my pals on the HTF and get ANSWERS to life's most pressing questions.

Huzzah!

MC

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
The piercings is what I don't understand, I never seen anyone or anything with a piercing that I thought looked better without it. Especially the chain from the nose to the ear (I hope they never get in too many fights) thing.

Claudia P

Stunt Coordinator
There's a Member of Parliament in the New Zealand Green Party named Nandor Tanczos who has the longest dreads, wears hemp suits to work, openly smokes dope (for religious purposes, naturally :wink: ) and is rather cute to boot. I guess that's the beauty of MMP, it allows for a certain amount of character in the government.

The people I know with dreads tell me the dreads require a huge amount of work to keep clean and the weight of them sometime cause headaches. They keep them because the dreads make a statement. Not sure exactly what, but each to their own!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Some - can get away with Dreads, (and even gold caps) and some should never try. I’ve always felt regardless current trends. Wear the look that suits yourself. Vin Diesel looks great shaved, not so good with hair.

Bruce Willis, great …with thinning hair.

Lots/long (or little/short); in the hair dept: Depends on the man..(or woman)

But clean is a must, for any look, (in my book)

I knew Depps ground-in-grime was indeed makeup, the total 'look' presented; if off-screen in the real world, would most likely reek. In that case (real world) I’d just admire from afar.

I've seen Dreadlocks, which up close appeared as clean as any other hair style. Don't know what it takes to keep it that way, and always thought it might be a hassle.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
And I guess I need a codpiece, too, while I'm at it. And something else to do at 11:35 on a Saturday night rather than surf the web, eh?

MC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks