What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Douglas Fairbanks Adventure Classics Missing on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Frustrating news - Tim Lanza from Cohen says there are no Blu-Ray plans this year (year!) and the film is only available as a digital cinema package for events... Nor is there an option to purchase a copy directly. You'd think a 100th anniversary release would be a no-brainer!
Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DouglasFairbanks1922

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
Very slight update! It seems the Cohen Media Channel has made Robin Hood available on Kanopy, so if you have a university or library account for an institution that has a Kanopy subscription, you can watch it now! Unfortunately it seems like it's US only, so I'm sitting here in Australia weeping - so close, yet so far!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Just noticed that Kino has a page on their site for a Fairbanks twofer of The Black Pirate and Robin Hood from Cohen scheduled for July 25th. Their press release:

A big-screen spectacle that ranks as one of the monumental accomplishments of the silent era, ROBIN HOOD is a timeless story of romance and intrigue, staged on a herculean scale. Its sets were erected by an army of 500 carpenters and towered 90 feet in the air, covering acres of land – historically accurate to the smallest detail. For this restoration, a full frame 35MM fine grain positive was scanned at 4K, with 175 hours of digital clean-up at 2K completed.

Shot in two-strip Technicolor, Fairbanks had conceived of THE BLACK PIRATE years before it was finally made. According to Fairbanks biographer Jeffrey Vance, it was “the most carefully prepared and controlled of Fairbanks’s entire career,” certainly in no small part due to the expense and limitations of the early color process. The resulting film earned high praise from The New York Times, which praised its “unrivalled beauty…mindful of the paintings of the old masters.” A 35MM color negative was mastered in HD for this presentation.

I’m rather interested to see what type of score will be used for both films as there’s a very nice John Scott score for Robin Hood posted earlier in this thread.

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I’m rather interested to see what type of score will be used for both films as there’s a very nice John Scott score for Robin Hood posted earlier in this thread.
My ancient (1999) Black Pirate DVD from Kino and Image Entertainment (David Shepard) has what is advertised as the original 1926 orchestral score by Mortimer Wilson in stereo, conducted by Robert Israel. It's been so long since I watched it I can't remember what I thought of the score. It also has a Rudy Behlmer commentary; I wonder if that might make it over to the new release.

1683726371020.png

Edit: Oh I see now that the Kino Lorber listing does indeed mention the Behlmer commentary.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Well Kino did release a BD of the Black Pirate back in 2010...why not pair fairbnks not currently in catalog like Robin Hood nd Mark of Zorro?

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    937.8 KB · Views: 16

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another Fairbanks twofer will be coming from Cohen/Kino on September 19th, this time consisting of The Three Musketeers and The Iron Mask.

Yup, I've been waiting for that release to show up on Amazon.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I just got the latest from Cohen Ent. the classic Fairbanks movies of Robin Hood and The Black Pirate...will watch them tonight. Hoping for the best, and now a second pair coming right on the heels of this one, just outstanding!!! I am a happy Camper!!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
since cutting the cable I have truly missed TMC, there is a hub on HBOMax that offers various titles from the TMC archives, but I sorely miss the intro / outros and commentaries by the various hosts. Robert Osborne is a lose for the channel but others are in his wake....I dearly wish that TMC would do a live app for all of us that love the channel but are without the ability to view it without being hornswaggled into a cable agreement...sad!!!

Yeah, I agree with the fact that we can't cherry-pick channels...an a la carte program, with perhaps a minimum. Say, you have to choose 5 channels. I absolutely refuse to accept a package that includes ten home shopping channels. I need only one sports channel. If these little channels that no one really wants have to die away, hey -- survival of the fittest. I want TCM -- for no more than $30 per month. Otherwise, I'll live without.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yeah, I agree with the fact that we can't cherry-pick channels...an a la carte program, with perhaps a minimum. Say, you have to choose 5 channels. I absolutely refuse to accept a package that includes ten home shopping channels. I need only one sports channel. If these little channels that no one really wants have to die away, hey -- survival of the fittest. I want TCM -- for no more than $30 per month. Otherwise, I'll live without.
Agreed, here in rule Colorado it's Spectrum and their bagin package starts at $60 per month and does included TCM...and billion channels that I'll never watch!!! I don't understand the lagging behind on the part of TCM, when others entities Like Max(HBO), Disney+, AMC+, and others are benefiting from running solo? I know there is a current TCM app, but it is still accessable ONLY with a cable account...Catch 22!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Ok, so the Cohen Eter. of Robin Hood and the Black Pirate review ~ First I want to say how amazing Robin Hood is, I have never seen such a clean and crisp, considering the age of the title. A wonderful addition to anyones collection.
The direction CE went with The Black Pirate was a bit different. They prefered to go with a less restored/going with the original film intercards and musical score.
Both CE and Kino went with that direction, however, Kinos looks like more cleaning wa done on that version. But Kino also offers another musical score plus a cool Organ musical score that CE does not.

By going back to Kino, after watching CE, it seems that Cohen Enter. is a more balenced PQ, after about 6 minuets into the movie. However, the color is more consistent with Kino.
In both, as this is exsisting elements to an realty attempt at the 2 color Technicolor process, and what color is left has it's moments but most color scenes are ghosts of what it was....But you do get a fair idea what they were. A perfect example of this is when Fairbanks chearcter comes on to the island draging another surviver onto the island. There are a few scenes that still have some nice color.

So Really Both give a nice delivery, each offers the film but Cohen Entertainment gives you the Black Pirate and an amazing Fairbanks Robin Hood!! As for me I'm keeping them Both!!

My next question is going to be for Cohen Entertainment Group is thier Fairbanks 2 fer of The Iron Mask and The Three Musketters? Seeing as the 3 Musketters was so amazing done by the Film Preservation Society back in 2022? Why not go for The Mark Of Zorro instead??
the-three-musketeers-blu-ray-2021

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
My next question is going to be for Cohen Entertainment Group is thier Fairbanks 2 fer of The Iron Mask and The Three Musketters? Seeing as the 3 Musketters was so amazing done by the Film Preservation Society back in 2022? Why not go for The Mark Of Zorro instead??
the-three-musketeers-blu-ray-2021

Just a guess on my part, but perhaps Cohen intends to pair Mark of Zorro with the sequel (Don Q, Son of Zorro).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks