What's new

Don't know where to start - Plasma or Projector (1 Viewer)

Jennifer|Jane

Auditioning
I work for a company and have been asked to find a solution for our Conference/Board room.

The room is approx 20'X30' with a board room table that seats 15. There are 2 large picture windows at one end of the room that let in the daylight. The room is not a perfect square, and has angled walls at one end.

The solution we have now is a simple portable projector screen that is probably 10yrs old, and a compaq ipaq mp3800. This is mainly for portablity to take equipment to client sites for presentations.

The end solution we want for the room is to have something setup to be used for viewing TV news broadcasts, and video, but most importantly, to be used for highly graphical (aerial photo imagery) powerpoint presentation and for Autocad drawing files during our client meetings. And the final use would be for video conferencing and webex conferencing.

I'd like an all-in-one solution that is also aestheticly pleasing so that the board room looks "cool" to visitors.

We need to have the room bright during meetings, so a solution that looks good in both bright light situations and darkness would be best.

I'm not sure if I should look at a 50" (or 60") plasma or a new projector ceiling mounted with a dropdown screen. I've read they make "daylight" screens, but cannot locate much info in the US on them.

I've been researching, but there is just so much to absorb that I'm hoping some folks here might give me some recommendations.

I contacted one local vendor who came for an initial site visit meeting, promising to get back with me with quotes and information, but that was over 3 weeks ago and I have not heard back. This guy was recommended to me by my computer supply vendor, but I am not pleased with the response from him.

Asside from going to Bestbuy or something, I'm not sure who to call for information and assistence.

Any help or insight would be appreciated

John S

Senior HTF Member
Plasma is a good solution considering the need to view with working type lighting running. Where this breaks down is assume'n you going to use it from a pc, the larger EDTV plasma's are not going to give enough resolution for PC output. I'm not sure what a very large true HD plasma runs these days. But I do think it would best fit the bill on this one.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
A good 50" plasma will be $6-10,000. A 60" would run the better part of $20,000.

However, for that price, you could probably have someone (contractor/HT shop) make a automated front projaction system (press a button, screen lowers, projector turns on, curtains close on windows, etc.)

Budget?

Jennifer|Jane

Auditioning
The Budget:
Quote from the boss; "Don't go cheap" and that's all I was given.

That means I go for quality, come up with a few options, present it to him to make the final decision.

Budget could be the Pioneer 50" plasma, delivered, installed and 4 yr maintenance for about $10k. But is 50" big enough. Or it could be the 60" *something* for about $20k. Or it could be the daylight screen, drop down projector unit for about $20k or more. (I've been looking at screens and your typical screen (ceiling mount, dropdown) is about $5k, but I'm not sure if that's daylight or not. Add the cost of a high end projector at about $8k, ceiling mount, cables, etc, then I'd need a TV tuner and surround sound/speaker system and you are looking at atleast $20k or more.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
If you are going to be spending $10, 20,000, why not hit the phone book (if you live in a large city) and find someone who specializes in commercial AV installations? You are talking about a LOT of money if something goes wrong.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you have lots of light coming into the room, then I'd NOT go the projector. A 50" Plasma shouldn't be 10k though. I've seen them as low as $5k-7k. I would talk with a local installer/dealer and see what they recommend.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Probably teaching you to suck eggs, but ... I can't speak about prices in the USA, but one thing I'd say is - make sure your security is up to scratch first. The university where I work had 10 projectors stolen over one weekend a couple of months ago (and at Brit prices, that wasn't remotely funny). At the moment, projectors and plasma/LCD screens are very desirable pieces of electronic hardware for thieves.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
andrew:

My college has HUNDREDS of brand new LCD projectors (Sharp's I think), and they are all chained and have alarms on them. I don't want to imagine the bill for all of those!

SimiA

Second Unit
I'd go with a top of the line HD plasma.
The Fijitsu, that Mort mentioned would be a great choice, as would the 50" Panasonic 6UY.
The panny can be had for about $2000 less than the Fujitsu, and is one of the best sets out there for the money.
The color, contrst ratio, and video quality of these 2 sets, is the best in the industry.
I wouldn't go any larger than 50", as the resolution may go down a pinch.
Vb

http://www.audiosound.com/fup550plslpl1.html

http://www.audiosound.com/fup550plslpl2.htm

http://www.audiosound.com/path50pltvdi.htmll

http://www.plasmaextreme.us/50phd6uy.htm

Jennifer|Jane

Auditioning
I'm looking at that Pioneer 50" plasma, which retails for $8k. Add to that a 4 yr maintenance plan, tax, and delivery/installation and you are looking at $10k. Oh, and then add in a surround sound, and miscellaneous cables and what not (including cable TV installation) and we are talking an easy $11 - $12k. Which is where I got my estimate from.

Just because the TV retails for under $8k doesn't mean you are done - right? I need some extended length cables and other items to set this up. I'll need a case/cabinet to store the receiver in, something to hide wires in (its a concrete floor so we can't just rip up and run cables), etc.

I hope this clears up where I got my figures from.

I do have a local guy coming out this week. I've already had one local guy come to look at the area and he was to get me quotes and get back to me, its been 4 weeks and haven't heard back - so no business there.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"However, for that price, you could probably have someone (contractor/HT shop) make a automated front projaction system (press a button, screen lowers, projector turns on, curtains close on windows, etc.)"

Exactly what I was thinking, even has the WOW factor!

B

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You might also consider a computer with touchscreen and IR presentation remote in your budget. Such a system could be very cheap and installed permanently so that everytime someone needs to present they can simply bring a floppy/CD/USB drive/Zip disk instead of bringing a laptop. Additionally, this would avoid having to constantly run a cable to where ever the presenter wants to put his/her laptop.

All the newer classrooms at my university are setup this way and it's very convenient. The computer probably wouldn't add more than about $1500 to your budget as it wouldn't need to be overly powerful.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

Since you're going to be using it for quite a bit of graphical power point presentations, if it were me, I might steer away from plasma because it will burn it (like CRT).

They installed not too long ago dozens of plasma screens in the airport here, and now they all have horrible burn in from the static images.

If you want the "plasma" look, then I would choose a large LCD. Otherwise, I'd go with one of the digital front projector options (DLP, LCD, or LCOS).

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks