What's new

Donnie Darko Directors Cut DVD? (1 Viewer)

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator
I was one of those 15 viewers who caught Darko in NY on its opening weekend. The film hit me the same way "Being John M" and "Lost Highway" did several years ago. Original and creative. I told everyone I met to go see this film.

I refuse to see the new cut. The original is a great mind bender. Ebert has an interesting take on the film. If you have never seen Darko- see the first cut.

A good joke needs no explanation. Kelly created a near masterpiece the first time around. The DC is a cash in.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Sorry if I missed a response to this, but 253 minutes? Is this right? The director's cut is 4 hours and 13 minutes?

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit

I was wondering the same thing. Does that length refer expressly to the film, or does it include other stuff? A more than 2 hour increase from the original cut?

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator

This is really the only reason I need to avoid the new version. The original scene was such a perfect way to open the movie, and I think I would be steaming to much to enjoy the new version. FULL DISCLOSURE: I was a big Echo and the Bunnyman fan in the 80's, and was roughly the same age as Donnie was then.

Plus, I thought the original commentary track gave away too much. Seeing new scenes that do the same will do nothing for me.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
For those with code/region free players. The R2 double disc set is out right now. I haven't had a chance to watch mine yet...maybe this weekend.

Ron

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
He's Richard Kelly's friend, a fan of the movie and one of the stars of "Southland Tales", Kelly's next film. The disc has already been released in the UK and I've heard that Smith's role in the commentary is more like an interviewer or moderator. I imagine it's like the "Big Fish" track, where Tim Burton is kept talking by the author of "Burton on Burton".

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Okay, I knew he was involved in Southland Tales, but I didn't know he was friends with Kelly. Interesting.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
kelly mentions in the commentary that the ins song was always ment to be there in the opening. and it was ther when it played cannes.
but money was the reason it was replaced on the first dvd.
or, oh crap did he say when it played theaters after cannes, i just listened about an hour ago and i cant remember if he said theater of the first dvd.

i'm sure he said first dvd.

(sorry for sounding like a dope)
any way inxs was always meant for the beginning and now it has been restored.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, and so was much of the movie that detracts from the film's mysterious qualities which won over fans in the first place... my gripe with this director's cut.

But I can verify that the Echo and the Bunnymen song "Killing Moon" was in the film when the movie was in theaters.

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
if I havent seen either yet, should I watch the original, or the directors cut first?

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I disagree. Watch the orginal one first. It's not as if the studio took the movie away from Kelly and edited it to make focus groups happy. I adore how vague the original version is, and its unwillingness to provide easy answers. It makes it much more memorable. The DC (as I see it) is more of an experiment, and when I go back to watch Donnie Darko, it will always be the original cut.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
vince, do you want to know before seeing it?

if so yes

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I have a buddy here at work that has almost the same exact taste in movies as I do. Granted, we don't agree 100% of the time, but he disliked Donnie Darko quite a bit, however, he only saw the original version. I just got a chance to see the director's cut this past weekend, and I loved it. I've never seen the original, but now I am curious to see if the changes were that extreme to cause so much controversy. I am probably going to have to pick up the theatrical version of this film as well so I can compare...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks