What's new

Dolby Atmos Ads Affecting Usability of the Site (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It's not out of date so much as a bad choice by the manufacturer. The last 2 years have rapidly increased default resolution on devices, so even a low end laptop now is usually 1920x1080 or 1600x900 at worst.

We can work around it on a case by case basis for folks like you - so please PM me with issues, clear your cache and reload the site.

Dave

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Dave!

I heartily recommend that anyone with display issues take Dave's advice and PM him (for anyone new to the site: just hover your mouse over his UserID in the post above and click on "Send Message.").

:thumbsup:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave Upton said:
It's not out of date so much as a bad choice by the manufacturer. The last 2 years have rapidly increased default resolution on devices, so even a low end laptop now is usually 1920x1080 or 1600x900 at worst.
We can work around it on a case by case basis for folks like you - so please PM me with issues, clear your cache and reload the site.

Dave
It might be worth re-examining this design assumption. The brand new MacBook has a logical resolution of 1440x900.
https://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The ad is also acting unusually for my iPad.
image.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's gone for me, thanks Dave! Sorry if my original response seemed cranky, my point was that there are a LOT of 900p devices still being sold today including every Macbook Air.
I suspect these 900p devices are captured in the 'Other, high' section which makes up the bulk of this chart:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/specs.html

Wasn't meant to be a complaint but as a data point. Other recent surveys suggest that 768p may still be in the top 10 of actively used screen sizes too, which seems pretty reasonable to me, I see a LOT of old Dells in use in business that have about a 5 year life span sadly.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Sam - I agree with you that it's still pretty common. When our new platform was designed and wasn't responsive - the sidebar created many of the issues at narrower widths. Luckily, that will be fixed in the future.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Dave Upton said:

Dave
Hi Dave!

I beg to differ, as a search in our local Best Buy yesterday didn't uncover a single 1080p Laptop, and only a pair of 900s. Nearly all of them are still 768! Any 1080p computer screens were of the separate Monitor variety!

But then again, perhaps we're simply behind the times in Canada? :rolleyes:

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks