What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Does it cost the HD ready Network station more to broadcast HD signal ? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Second Unit
Most major network are broadcasting HD programs after 8:00PM daily.
But there's still some shows like Alias, without a trace, CSI... just to name a few that are being broadcast after 12:00AM in SD only on HD station.
Why don't just leave the HD switch on? Why shut it off.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just a guess, but the shows you mention after midnight are probably in syndication and bought by your specific affiliate. They might not have HD masters for those episodes.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Indeed, I think the only syndicated shows in HD last season were Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!; there just wasn't any sort of infrastructure set up for delivering HD material to local stations. I don't know how much that has changed this year.

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to remember reading in a thread about "Star Trek: The Original Series - Remastered" that it isn't necessarily an issue of infrastructure to get the HD show to the local affiliate but a matter of the storage of the HD show at the local affiliate.

I really hope that someone who knows more than this knucklehead can authoritatively answer this question.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The episodes provided to the sation by the network are in HD. Episodes outside of prime time are syndicated. When a show runs long enough it goes into syndication even though first run episodes are still in production. So those late night episodes of CSI etc. are not provided by the network but by the syndicator which only sends out the show in SD.

As previously mentionned, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy are syndicated and are available from the syndicator in HD, but very few stations are equipped to record and re-play them in HD. Our local ABC station has the local news produced in HD but still hasn't got the equipment to record and delay Wheel and Jeopardy in HD.

The vast majority of HD capable stations can only broadcast HD when they recieve it from the network of which they are an affilliate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks