What's new

Does anyone know what happened to Crimson Tide SE and BlackHawk Down SE? (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I sure hope that if these three movies are released as Vista Series that they get the DTS treatment. For all of these movies sounded terrific theatrically and their current DVD's.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I said it before and i'll say it again..............were bound to hear soon of a VISTA SERIES of Crimson tide and/or/maybe Enemy of The State and Con Air
I'm waiting for SE's of all three of those and would buy those on Tues if they happened. As is, I'm anxiously anticipating the new BHD and waiting for some word on Panic Room SE.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would love to have a SE of Crimson Tide. (Please Vista - LAY OFF THE EDGE ENHANCEMENT THIS TIME!) There is a good chance I would buy Con Air, as well.

YANG

Screenwriter
The only DTS release of BHD available in the market now that is known by most members...is the release from JAPAN.
It is surprise to know that there is a scandinavian DTS release.

On the future/coming release of SCOTT FILMS from BUENA VISTA,i hope that CRIMSON TIDE does comes with a VISTA SERIES badge.As for ENEMY OF THE STATES a S.E release just like what other region is having now is more than enough.

Personally,i feel that E.O.T.S is more on the status of popcorn flick rather than the critic's choice CRIMSON TIDE.

While they are now on the films from BV,lets hope that they will not left out PARAMOUNT's TOPGUN and DAYS OF THUNDER.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
CRIMSON TIDE needs to be re-released in anamorphic, also HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. I like both of these and would buy an anamorphic release.

Eric Estrada

Agent
Here is status from davisdvd.com

Black Hawk Down: Special Edition
Studio: Columbia
Due: Spring 2003

Crimson Tide: Special Edition
Studio: Buena Vista
Due: 2003

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Eric,
Has Davis been very accurate in the past? This sounds good, if true. I wish they had something on the Superbit BHD though. :D

Eric Estrada

Agent
Dave,

They have been pretty accurate about release dates. Let's hope there are no delays coming from the studios. I too wish they had a Superbit Edition of BHD.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't that information from Davis DVD in the original Columbia Tri-Star press release?
I have a feeling that if we don't hear something soon, it will be delayed. :frowning:

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I have been hearing many rumors that an announcement about BHD is to be made soon, possibly in the next few weeks. I am almost certain from what I have heard that the specs will be very similar to those of the overseas 3-Disc set, with the 3 commentaries and multiple features. A far as DTS, that is anyones guess, but my bet is it will not be on it. I mean, a 2 1/2 hr. movie, 3 commentaries, at leats 2 audio options(Dolby DD and Surround), subtitles, menus, and any other features. I'd rather have that than a DTS option, where video quality is sacrificed for the audio(example being the 3-Disc Brotherhood of the Wolf). The fisrt BHD release already featured a demo quality DD track, and near refernce quality video(high contrast and intentional grain, although deliberate did hurt it some). Sound is important, but if a sacrifice must be made as far as quality goes, I would lose a DTS track in a heart beat rather than lose video quality. You can still get great sound from Dolby Digital, and you can still include many commentaries and other features. Unless you lessen the amount of features on the disc(commentaries and such) or if the film is long enough to split it across two discs, then add the DTS track.

I feel that when the announcment is made and their is no DTS track, most people are going to be very disappointed by lack of DTS. All I can say is get over it. DTS does not make a movie, nor do the extras make it. The movie it self is the reason to buy the disc, or to see it. The same arguemnt was raised over the lack of DTS on many recent big box office films, such as Spiderman, xXx, and Signs. While the first two will likely have a Superbut release of sorts, many commented that the latter didnt have a DTS track or a 2-Disc set liek the previous VISTA releases. But I will still watch it, for the movie not the sound. If it has DTS on it, more power to it. I'm sure it will sound great, DTS or no DTS.

I also feel that when BHD is announced, many will moan and groan about the lack of DTS, saying that they will not buy it because of that. This is the same as the people who say they will not buy a movie because it did not include a DTS track the first time around, that they will wait for a BETTER release of the same moive. I never thought that the quality of a movie was based on DTS alone, that how a movie sounds in your HT is more important than the film itself. Many forget to remember that 18 American soldiers lost their lives during this battle, along with countless Somalis. They are the reason this movie was even made, or that the book was written. It is their deaths that are shown in this movie, and in their memory the movie was made. Although the movie is not the most accurate and authentic way to tell the story, it is still a tribute and memory of sorts to those that lost their lives. Credit should be given to Ridley Scott and the filmmakers, as well as the crew and the veterans to taske the time to produce a special edition of this DVD. It has been a while since it was announced they were going to make one, but it will be well worth the wait. From what is suposed to be on the DVD, it will explain how the movie was made, but also tell about the mission itself and the men who fought their.

So all I can say is that when the announcment is made, we should all be happy with what we get, whether it has DTS or not. It is granted that people will say that a lack of DTS is disappointing and that they will not buy it and wait for a Superbit release or whatever, but this is likely the same people who said this before about the previous BHD release, and still complain about other movies being released without DTS or whatever else they wanted on it. Lets not forget that many of the top selling DVDs of All-Time so far have NOT had DTS on them, at least in the US(Spiderman, Monsters Inc., Star Wars I and II, and Harry Potter). That didnt seem to stop many people from buying them, did it. I guess it jsut show that most people are interested in the movie itself, not a simple audio track.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
JoshB,
As much as you've said, it still does not convince me to change my reason for not wanting to buy the upcoming SE of BHD. You're right that DTS alone does not make the movie but the film itself. I agree. But if I know that there is going to be, inevitably, a Superbit version down the road sometime , which will have that DTS track on it, then it is "then" that I will pay my dollars to finally own this movie on DVD. I want the finest audio track that movie can deliver on DVD and that is hearing that bad boy in glorious DTS Digital Surround Sound Babbyyy!!!
This is just how I feel and as everyone would say " to each his/her own".
No hard feelins eh?

Regards,
Troy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Josh,

I agree with some of what you are saying. However, I still want the version that looks and sounds the BEST. And, I am willing to bet a Superbit version is released by the end of the year. So, for me, it makes the most sense to go with the inevitable Superbit. I do not want to own three versions of this movie.

Columbia is the one started this "game" of releasing three versions of a movie, so I am going to play it and win by only buying one.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend at CTHV and he told me that Black Hawk Down will not be released this year as Superbit, He told me that you'll see XXX, Spiderman, Bad Boys, Cliffhanger, In the Line of Fire, and Men In Black 1 and 2 as Superbit this year but No Black Hawk Down, That is what he heard, CTHV will release BHD as 3 disc Special Edition and depending on how that does in sales they will later release SUPERBIT BHD, All above titles are slated for 4QT, oh and by the way to answer my previous post, No NO SEINFELD IN THE NEAR FUTURE, from his understanding, our dear jerry is getting too much from the shows playing on TV that DVD might put a dent in that, In time maybe we will get it

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Well if that is accurate, and it sounds that way, then its good news. At least their will be superbits of two of those titles(xXx, Spiderman) since both of then lacked in the audio/video dept. In any case, I'd rather pick up the 3-Disc BHD rather than the Superbit. A BHD superbit would really only help in the audio area, but probably only slightly. Inm the case of video, the film already features such high contrast and intentional grain that the differences between regular and non-superbit would be very difficult to spot. In most of the Superbits it is very difficult, unless you pay extremely close attention in certain scenes, to point out the areas that are improved. The audio on the BHD is already refernece quality and is in no needs of improvement. I would say stick to the releases that could benefit more from a Superbit release. I swear, Superbit as done as much harm as help in the DVD area. It is pretty obvious why.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Columbia has confirmed that this title (Black Hawk Down) WILL hit the streets in JUNE. No specs as of yet, but an announcement should come around the end of this month or early in February. Also, of no relevance at all, Die Another Day is expected in May as well.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
No news yet on Crimson Tide, seeing as how it and BHd are from different studios. If anything, I wouldn't expect Crimson Tide anytime before the summer.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I swear, Superbit as done as much harm as help in the DVD area. It is pretty obvious why.
Maybe I am a little slow, but it is not obvious to me as to how Superbit has done harm to DVD. While I notice improvements with Superbits on my 61" ISF'd display, I admit the differences aren't "day and night." BUT, they are noticable. ANY improvement in picture quality to even a small degree is worth it to me. I don't see any harm when quality improves. As far as extras, they are not the priority to me (while I realize they are for others). But, in most cases, another version with extras exists anyway. I believe Panic Room is the only Superbit that doesn't, but is not a "real" Superbit anyway. ;) Also, the Deluxe Superbits solve this problem anyway (although they don't contain commentaries). But, the fact there are a lot of "fast" moving scenes and grain in BHD, I do wonder just how much improvement will be noticable.
P.S. Is it true we are getting a new transfer on the SE of BHD because I thought it would have the "real" sub titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks