What's new

Does anybody here actually calibrate using the THX Optimizer? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I know that the THX optimizer is dvd specific, but do you calibrate on a dvd by dvd basis using it, or do you stick with your AVIA or Video Essentials settings?

I stick with my AVIA calibration settings, they've never let me down, even on THX dvd's, and besides it's a pain in the ass to keep calibrating everytime I want to watch a dvd with the THX mode on it, then having to go back and re-calibrate again with my AVIA disc to return my settings to the way they were before.

I considered using another one of my video channels as sort of an all THX programming channel, but i'm not really happy with the image quality on any other video channel except my primary 'Standard' channel that I always use. I tried using another video channel once, I calibrated it with AVIA, but for some reason the image looked different than on my 'Standard' channel.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
THX uses the optimizer as a knowing compromise that different montiors will have minute differences in teh various mastering houses, even though they are set to standards. It's a nod to complete perfection I suppose.

However, those differences are probably very minute so I keep mine set at Avia standards.

Also THX optimizer speicifically says that their speaker tones should not be used for level setting, just identification. What's the point of that?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I did a few times, but the "improvements" were negligible at best. If your set is properly calibrated to start with, the THX Optimizer really doesn't improve the picture or sound enough to justify the re-calibration.

Bruce

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
The Optimizer concept is borrowed from the pro world, where every tape/disc has its own set of bars and tone, recorded at he same levels and settings as the project itself. Ideally, you're supposed to be able to calibrate a system to each program's own test patterns, to optimize the system for that program's playback. (This also facilitates easier troubleshooting. If you runs a program's bars through a 'scope, you can determine if you got a bad dupe, or if the problem is further downstream).
-Christian

Chris M

Second Unit
Don't you also need a blue filter to make the tint and color calibrate properly?

Chris.

Ned

Supporting Actor
I have a sneaking suspicion that every THX disc with Optimode has the same .vob file for the Optimizer.

Meaning? Not tailored at all to each disc, just the same thing every time. Do you really think they'd make a new one for every disc? :wink:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I use the THX system for fine-tunes. I prefer to alter settings from film to film according to what the film is like. For example, I like to turn the color off for B&W films, fine-tune tint for Technicolor, and many other controls.

While a pro DVD calibrator DOES work, films tend to waver in and out of the "correct" look.

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator
A video projector is much more sensitive to differences, and I have noticed some big differences in different THX optimodes. I don't think I'd bother if I was watching on a direct view set, but I always use them on my Plus Piano projector.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Given that I don't really have the $45 to spend on the Avia disc (or the equipment to really benefit from it) I find the THX optimizer to be quite handy. Think of it as a "poor man's Avia"-and it comes with a free movie!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I use the THX-Optimizer. I never spend the money on an Avia, and my $499 Kenwood reciever + speakers, coupled with my 27" JVC dont really need the pro-calibration that higher-end products could use. I just use it every month or so to make sure my colours are all good. Nothing bothers me more than not-so-red reds

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't want to spend the money of AVIA, then pick this up.

its made by Ovation software, just like AVIA.
I bought it Link Removed for $15.99
It works great, I just used it to calibrate a friends RPTV and he was amazed by the difference.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
I find the white on black grid pattern handy for setting coarse convergence on my RPTV.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to use the one included on the T2:UE disc but it did not help a lot on my 27 inch tv. It did improve the brightness and contrast a bit though. I couldn't make heads or tales of what I was supposed to do during the sound tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks