What's new

Doctor Who (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Shouldn't the Donna Noble be very wealth now? As I recall the Doctor went to the past to ask for money from Donna's late father to purchase a winning lottery ticket as a wedding present.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Star Beast was loads of fun. It was very enjoyable. Ruth Madeley was a nice addition to the supporting cast there (she is in recent 6th Doctor adventures from Big Finish playing another character).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Really enjoyed it too. One advantage to having an old face return is that there isn't that rough transition that comes with being an entirely new iteration. The Doctor knows how to be that version of himself, so he can just dive right in and get on with things.

The episode was a little preachy at a couple points, but overall the progressive value statements were much more organically incorporated than during the Chinball era. The payoff with regard to Donna's tragic fate felt well though out and earned, and given the unique circumstances, it makes sense that Donna's child would have a different relationship with gender and grow up with a sense of alienation. I liked Yasmin Finney very much as the new Rose.

Shouldn't the Donna Noble be very wealth now? As I recall the Doctor went to the past to ask for money from Donna's late father to purchase a winning lottery ticket as a wedding present.
That is explained
Yes, and they get a lot of mileage out of it.

Ruth Madeley was a nice addition to the supporting cast there
That character is a good way to have a top lieutenant for Kate Stewart available to take charge when they want to use UNIT but Jemma Redgrave isn't available.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The Doctor-Donna combo is my wife's and my favorite incarnation of the Doctor and companion (full disclosure: I'm not a fan of the classic Who, so my experiences prior to Eccleston are virtually nil). Both Tennant and Tate slipped back into these roles like putting on old, comfortable slippers.

Our only disappointment is that they're putting off the scenes with the late Bernard Cribbins until, most likely, the third of the Fourteen specials.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Story-wise, this felt like a bit of a retread of "The Rebel Flesh", from the Eleventh Doctor era. But there's perhaps an apt metaphor here, since the Fourteenth Doctor is an imperfect doppelganger of the Tenth Doctor.

Doctor/Donna is one the great pairings, and it's even richer now with all of their shared experiences behind them. The Doctor's usual bag of tricks doesn't work on Donna, because she knows him too well. It made me wish we would have gotten an entire season with Sarah Jane Smith back as the Doctor's companion before Elisabeth Sladen's passing.

Enjoyed it, mostly for
Wilf's appearance at the end,.
Yes, given his advanced age and declining health at the time these specials were shot, I figured we'd only get a cameo with him, maybe one extended scene (a la William Russell's appearance as Ian Chesterton at the former companions' support group in the last Jodie Whittaker episode). But it appears that we're going to get an entire adventure with him.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But it appears that we're going to get an entire adventure with him.

I’m afraid not, it seems. Russell T Davies just mentioned on social media that that was the only scene they were able to film with him, but that the next episode will mention that his character is safe.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Star Beast was loads of fun. It was very enjoyable. Ruth Madeley was a nice addition to the supporting cast there (she is in recent 6th Doctor adventures from Big Finish playing another character).
I thought it was awful. Wild Blue Yonder was pretty good.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Clip from third and last 60th Anniversary Special. I don't think there are any spoilers but if you don't want to see anything don't watch. Appears to be from the beginning of the episode. Neil Patrick Harris can be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks