What's new

Doc Hollywood (1991) need Prescription for a Blu (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well here's one I haven't seen recently, the 1991 Michael J. Fox romantic comedy Doc Hollywood. This was Michael J. Fox a couple years after his last BTTF movie and it shows Michael's growth as a actor (well so did Secret of My Success but you get the point).

Doc_hollywood_poster.jpg

It is no small wonder why (until recently) that this movie hasn't been seen on any home entertainment media. I think it did get a VHS release shortly after its theatrical run. It then got a low-quality (read, lousy transfer) full-screen (4:3) DVD release.
Recently though Amazon Instant Video has made it available in both SD and HD. My experience with Amazon HD has been better than DVD but doesn't match up to a blu. Hopefully the Doc (no, not Doc Brown) will see a blu-ray release shortly.
I believe Warner Bros. holds the rights (according to Wiki) so maybe a WHV (Warner Home Video) release would be in the cards. Just wish there was a easy way to contact WHV and suggest this. I don't see any major music rights issues with this film (correct me if I'm wrong).

Wiki Entry for Doc Hollywood

IMDB Entry for Doc Hollywood.

IMDB Excerpt:
"Dr. Benjamin Stone (Michael J. Fox) is a hotshot young surgeon who longs to leave the drudgery of a Washington, D.C. emergency room and finally leaps at his chance at more money (for repaying his med school debts) and less death as a plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills. On his last day, Ben's relationship with his co-workers is presumed to be anything but a warm one. None of his colleagues will join him for a drink, and a cake in his honor has an iced portion of the phrase "Good riddance, asshole" sliced out.

Ben's cross-country drive in a 1956 Porsche 356 Speedster to become a Beverly Hills cosmetic surgeon is interrupted when he crashes in the rural redneck hamlet of Grady, South Carolina. The crash is through the hand-made fence of local Judge Evans (Roberts Blossom).The superficial Ben offers to pay for the fence,so he can be on his way,but the Judge isn't interested,and he sentences him to 16 hours of community service at a nearby hospital.Ben gets angry,and the stern judge increases his community service to 32 hours.

The local mechanic Melvin (Mel Winkler)tells Ben that he'll have his car fixed by the time he leaves,and Ben goes to report to the hospital, where the stiff Nurse Packer (Eyde Byrde) humbles him by ordering him to clock in and out, as would a factory worker and threatens to report him to the judge should he miss one day.

Though upset, Ben quickly makes friends with The Mayor Nick Nicholson (David Ogden Stiers), who is desperate to keep him in town because he knows it won't be long before their current doctor,Aurelius Hogue (Barnard Hughes) retires.He invites him to stay overnight at his lakeside lodge,where the town's café propieter/waitress (Frances Sternhagen),and her friends,make Ben feel welcome with food and alcohol.After a night of drinking,Ben wakes up feeling rough,and goes outside to the lake,where he sees a naked woman,Vialula "Lou" (Julie Warner) emerge from the water.She gets dressed and leaves,and it isn't long before he discovers that she's the town's tomboyish ambulance driver."

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Here here. This is THE guilty pleasure for sure. And I still have a crush for Julie Warner. :)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's a lightweight but very sweet comedy which I'd be very happy to view again in a decent format -- it's always looked very disappointing on DVD! This and Secret of My Success are both worth having to remember Michael J in his prime acting days...

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
We'll have to start a thread for Secret of My Success as well.

Never saw the DVD and from what I've read, I'm not missing anything. Might have to try the Amazon Instant Video download to do me until a blu-ray is released. Now to find a way to get a email to whoever at Warner Home Entertainment calls the shots on Blu-rays.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Still no US blu-ray?! Aside from BTTF, this is my favorite MJF film, and it's the last of his films that I saw theatrically, I'm ashamed to say. :( I think it's a great movie and really deserves a blu-ray release.

I was in Germany many years ago, and saw this on TV---it was dubbed into German, of course, but the actor who dubbed Fox's part was trying to imitate his squeaky voice, which was really funny.

Last edited:

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I was such a horn-dog when I was young that I still see the title of this movie and think "full frontal!!"

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Does anybody know if Xfinity's On Demand version of this is letterboxed or P&S? They don't seem to have an HD version available.

Fox's film career was so brief, less than 15 years, really. I was watching Going In Style (1979) the other day (my mom was actually an extra in the Vegas portion--I hung out with her all day at The Aladdin reading books to occupy myself), and I started thinking how unfortunate it is that Fox won't be able to do any of those "beloved legendary actor" roles like Art Carney did in Harry and Tonto, or James Cagney in Ragtime.

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
This would be a great double feature bluray with Secret of my Success. Especially now that Teen Wolf has been released.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Except Warner never bares all. Even in the uncropped version, you could see she wore panties!

"Panties are optional." ;-)

I too could have sworn she was totally naked in that scene, because I remember being a bit taken aback when I first saw it.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"Panties are optional." ;-)

I too could have sworn she was totally naked in that scene, because I remember being a bit taken aback when I first saw it.

Nope - if you see the uncropped version, you can clearly see panties.

She's supposed to be naked but isn't. We're intended to think she is - we only see the panties in the version that doesn't use theatrical framing...

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Nope - if you see the uncropped version, you can clearly see panties.

Was it shot open-matte? My first viewing of the film was in the theater, and I'm not really sure if I saw it again in its entirety on tv.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Was it shot open-matte? My first viewing of the film was in the theater, and I'm not really sure if I saw it again in its entirety on tv.

Yeah, it was open matte - that's why we can see shots of Warner's panties.

IIRC, the fullscreen DVD zoomed in on that shot to avoid the panties. I suspect the rest was true open matte but that shot wasn't!

I never saw the VHS, but I think that was open matte all the way - and the source of the nude Warner stills on the Internet, though there might be a non-US 1.33:1 DVD that went open matte for that scene...

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Re: Doc Hollywood on blu-ray (from Warner Archive Collection Facebook page):
"We have no new Blu-ray announcements to make at the present time. Thanks."

:( I guess they don't feel there's enough of a demand. I think they need to hear from more of us.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks