What's new

Do you reckon the late Kubrick was nuts ? (1 Viewer)

Steve~Phillips

Auditioning
Do you reckon the late Kubrick was nuts. That's if it true,while living as a recluse in a Victorian mansion in a secluded outskirt area of London,he had a "special room" erected that included petite dolls in Sunday dresses and a closet full of whips, never drove faster than 35 miles per hour,had a fear of flying - yet held a pilot's licence,sprayed his garden with a cropduster,shot tourists wandering around on his lawn.
[Edited last by Steve~Phillips on October 11, 2001 at 09:09 PM]

MatS

Screenwriter
rolleyes.gif
I believe Steve~Phillips is nuts

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Thread closing in 3...2...
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
If by nuts you mean he was a genius filmmaker, then yes.
If by nuts you mean I believe he was actually like every single half-truth anecdote on the Internet has described him (and the Kidman thing was attributed to Keitel, not Kubrick), then no.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Steve, did you intend to put a smilie at the end of your post?
confused.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Oooo - Just you wait till Jack Briggs sees this thread!
wink.gif

------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I think he's nuts for wanting his movies released in pan and scan. Or something to that effect.
Other than that... pure genius film-maker.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
who thinks "Frank~Drebin" and "Steve~Phillips" are one and the same.
------------------

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Nuts, no. Eccentric, maybe. But then, most geniuses are. As far as doing you-know-what in Nicole Kidman's hair....well, that does sound like something Harvey Keitel would say... :)
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Phillip, if what you stated is true here is the criteria to answer your question.
Stanley Kubrick was RICH so that behavior would be called eccentric. However, if he were POOR they would describe him as NUTS.
wink.gif

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Phillip, if what you stated is true here is the criteria to answer your question.
But, except for the fear of flying part, everything he wrote in the first post is untrue. His question is, therefore, irrelevant and unworthy of discussion.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Theres a fantastic article on Kubrick in a 1999 issue of Playboy-the issue with the model for Tomb Raider on it. I dont remember the month I will look when I go home and post it here.
Its by the guy who worked on AI with him for a few years and he spent everyday on Kubricks company. The article is hilarious-A few bits:
Kubrick feeding the dogs out of the expensive china and the wife yelling at him-his response"But I only want whats best for the animals"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
How he was convinced the birds on the front lawn were starving and overfed them to where they got so fat they couldnt fly anymore.Complaining about too many people on the roads("Why are all these people on the roads?""Theyre going to work Stanley""Why dont they work from home?").
He tried to throw a Big Mac wrapper out of the sunroof of his Rolls, the wind blew it back in and Kubrick responded"This car isnt very good is it?"
His wife would buy him new sneakers that he hated so he would give them to his driver and tell him to make them disappear, but not to let his wife find them.
How he refused to let his driver quit.
I laughed out loud quite a few times reading it.
I think Kubrick was a filmmaking genious, but he was definitely "out there".
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on October 12, 2001 at 11:32 AM]

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Albert Einstein scribbled calculations on cars on the street.
Robert Fripp stops in the middle of a performance if an audience member shoots a flash photo.
Van Gogh cut his ear off.
etc, etc, etc.
We allow these people to do these things because what they create adds more to the world than their weirdness takes away from it.
from www.infoplease.com:
gen•ius
Pronunciation: ( jEn'yus), [key]
—n.,
—pl. gen•ius•es for 2, 3, 8, gen•i•iPronunciation: (jE'nE-I") [key] for 6, 7, 9.
1. an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart.
2. a person having such capacity.
I would say Kubrick qualifies.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
If Kubrick was "nuts" then I sure hope I am too. And that's all I have to say about that. :)
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

Scott H

Supporting Actor
He was eccentric, which can be a very good thing. Some of stuff you claim is incorrect. And he never supported pan and scan releases, his films are not in pan and scan on DVD.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Sigh...
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks