What's new

do you *have* to get the closest parking spot? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I think someone here has an inferiority complex. ;)

You seem enourmously annoyed by the fact that people park where you don't think they should park. Hey, maybe they park there to annoy you? :)

/Mike

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
So assumptions have to be made .... I only do it to those with really good cars because I know how they think.
ahh.....so who is making the assumption now?

wait for it.... :D

michelle - my accord has about 140k on it. but it's also in pretty darn good shape. shiny paint, minimal dings, nice interior. i like to think the extra care we take pays off.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
As for "hubris, inadequacy and obsession", I think you're reading more into this than there is...
Perhaps. But if I were to use less dramatic words and say 'insecurity and a need to always be ahead' (which means the same thing) no one would see it as over-analysis. Ocassionally I like to write like a feverish, 19th century poet drunk on ether and absinthe.

Since this subject has obviously touched a lot of nerves, I think we should coordinate the world's first HTF "Park-In." We'll find a nice big parking lot, get some cameras, measuring tape, duct tape, strobe lights, and just go to town.

~j

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Gentlemen, start your engines..."

I can see myself racing with Ted and Michelle to get the spot as far away from everyone else as possible (and I'm also looking at that shaded spot Steve Schaffer seems to be eyeing). We're being closely followed by Mike Alletto who's trying to figure out which one of us has the fanciest car so he can park next to it. Meanwhile, Ryan is taking his time finding the keys to the car, since Eric_L is waiting to pull in to his spot, angrily staring at him.

/Mike

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I only park next to a curb (could be up front or the farthest spot from the store). The reason... I hug it... which puts my truck as far over in the parking spot as possible. Then when the schmuck that parks next to me and flings their door open, has plenty of room and will not hit my Truck.

I spent a fair amount of my hard earned money on my cars/trucks and I like to keep them nice and one way is to be as anal as possible when parking.

As for the idiots that park right next to my truck when there are a dozen empty spots.... Its like the guy you don't know that sits right next to you in an empty theater.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Most of the time its a really nice car parked way out there because the person has a superiority complex and wants there car separated from others to make it stand out but also to avoid dings.
Trust me, we don't want our cars to stand out. We just want them away from the unclean masses. Unfortunately, protecting them by keeping them away from door flinging morons also makes them stand out. Quite frankly most people don't care about anyone but themselves, so they park like crap - often way too close to you - and then they fling their doors open without a care in the world.

I drive nice vehicles and want to keep them that way, so I avoid other cars when parking. It's not because I think my car is better than everyone else's and want to show it off.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
mickes -

R O T F L M A O !!! :laugh:

that was true comedy ... and the best summation of a thread i've ever read. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
There's a difference walking around an climate controlled mall, and a parking lot where you have to face the elements of nature such as downpours, wind and temps ranging from -10 to 120 on a flat, barren, black parking lot.

My girlfriend always gives me a hard time because I always start at the front of the movie theater parking lot (where the spots are literally 10 feet from the door), and then work my way back. I say you're a sucker if you don't go for the "Rock Star" parking just because you're gussing it will be filled. If everyone had that opinion then the spots wouldn't be that hard to get. I'm not one of the vultures, but I need to see for myself if the good spots are taken. And as far as waiting and rushing people is concerned, I don't do it unless they're lights are on, that's my rule.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
It's saying everything about the type of owner that person is. They are trying to be ultra protective of an object that when they leave the object is out of their control. My opinion is find a space and take it.
So you imply owners that care for their vehicle's are stuck up, then you go on to say you won't park next to beater in fear of getting a ding. Holy contradiction Batman!

I think it's time to put your tail between your legs and just walk away. ;)

Mike D.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I am going to jump into this thread with my biggest parking pet peeve, backing into spaces. Why, why, why?

It's harder, it takes longer, there is more chance of hitting the car next to you, and it is just plain annoying.

I can see doing it in a stadium parking lot, because you know that when you leave, lots of people will be driving by, and it will be hard to back out. But I see people in my office parking lot spend 5 minutes to back there car into the space when they come in. I just want to slap them.

I know you people are on this thread, now tell me WHY?

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I know you people are on this thread, now tell me WHY?
Because it's easier to see vehicles coming when you pull out to leave. Personally, when the Alletto hunting grounds are full, I'll back into a spot. But I'm very good at it, and rarely need to make any corrections. Doesn't take me much longer than someone pulling in forward.

Mike D.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i don't mind people backing in - as long as they do a good job and can do it quickly.

i'm pretty good at parking - both parallel and backing in. so i guess i'm a little biased.

but i agree, if it's gonna take the guy several attempts and/or he dous a lousy job, then that irritates me as well.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Just remember, if you are backing out of a spot, and a guy hits you, its his fault. If you backed in, and are pulling out and hit a guy, it's your fault. Remember, you always want to get your butt hit.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Just remember, if you are backing out of a spot, and a guy hits you, its his fault.
are you sure about that? i've always assumed the guy backing out would be at fault -- since he didn't pay attention to "oncoming traffic".

i sure would like to know the definitive answer because i was recently in this exact situation - this jerk was backing out of the space, (talking on his cell phone of course :rolleyes:) and almost whacked me driving down the lane. we actually ended pulling over and having a nice yelling match - talk about too much testerone. good thing my girlfriend broke it up cuz he was a pretty big guy! :D

mark alan

Supporting Actor
If you were driving with the proper degree of care, and he was backing out at a high rate of speed (i.e. negligently), he would probably be at fault.

Typically, if you hit the back end of someone, you are considered to be at fault. However, if the other car is reversing, it is different. Then you have to have to look at the facts of the case.

I was just joking around, but all other things being equal, you are better off if it your butt that is hit.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
If you were driving with the proper degree of care, and he was backing out at a high rate of speed (i.e. negligently), he would probably be at fault.

Typically, if you hit the back end of someone, you are considered to be at fault. However, if the other car is reversing, it is different. Then you have to have to look at the facts of the case.

I was just joking around, but all other things being equal, you are better off if it your butt that is hit.

It still bugs me when people back into a space in an office parking lot.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that cars that are parked away from the others may be employees' cars (and some can be nice cars too). They are parking far away as a courtesy to the customers. You just can't assume they're arrogant SOBs!

I've been getting more dings than usual lately, and it's pissing me off. It doesn't help when many people park poorly, forcing you into a bad position -- and the parking lot is FULL --, so that the next bozo that takes over the stall next to you gets pissed off and keys your car WHEN IT ISN'T YOUR DAMN FAULT. :angry:

Sometimes I wish tanks were street legal. Nobody would park next to one, for fear of getting their car crushed!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Mine's the exact opposite, people who park head-in. Around here, car parks are relatively small and tight, no surprise given the country is so small. So backing into lots means it's easier to pull out later, takes less space to do it, and therefore faster.

Plus I've noticed people who park head-in inevitably get it crooked, and take no effort to straighten the car, making it that much more difficult for those in the next lots to either park in the first place, or to get in or out of their cars.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Keep in mind that cars that are parked away from the others may be employees' cars
"May" being the important word in that sentence. At least around here, I've noticed if I happen to visit a store very early in the AM or late in the PM, when the employees are likely to outnumber any shoppers, most of the cars in the lot are clustered in the parking spaces closest to the front doors.

Back-in drivers are also a peeve of mine, mostly because I've seen very few people who can do it well. Just this morning I watched a gentleman outside my office building make four attempts to back his big-ass truck into an end slot in an empty parking lot. When he finally considered it "good enough," he still ended up with the rear tire up on the curb and the ass of the truck overhanging and blocking the sidewalk. If he'd pulled in nose first, he likely would have needed only one attempt, not been parked up on the curb, and would not be blocking the sidewalk. :angry:

Lines on pavement mean little to most people. They just pull in and park, then walk away. They don't check to make sure they're in their own space, or if they do they can't be bothered to fix it.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Hey, maybe they park there to annoy you?
Hehehehe...thats entirely possible. If I had my way you all wouldn't even own cars. I'd be the only one and all stop lights would do my bidding. I'd also have a large harem of beautiful women to wait on me hand and foot but thats another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks