What's new

Do homemade DVD labels cause problems? (1 Viewer)

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure if I should post this here in the PC section, or in the Software section, but I have been converting all of my old home movies to DVD. I am tempted to buy a kit that creates DVD labels that stick right on top of the DVD to make it look more professional, but I am afraid that it may cause disc problems down the line. Has anybody here had any bad experiences with these DVD labels/stickers, or does anybody think that it may cause the disc to go bad prematurely?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i started a thread a little while ago about labels, and vince came through with a ton of links proving that they are bad for the discs. if you do a search, you can read up on the links.

CJ

John Watson

Screenwriter
I have read several times in reputable forums or in newsletters that glued on labels are not recommended for data storage on cd-r.

I'm sure the same advice would be given for DVD.

I've even taken to trying to write my identifying labels on parts of a disk that don't contain data, and only using markers that claim they are safe for cd-r.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys, I was figuring that was the case, but thought that I'd ask first. How do you know whether a marker is safe for CD-R?

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
ive never had any problems with labeled cd's or dvd's that i burned, ive been doing it for years now, what do you think are on retail discs? labels of course :)

Brian Teal

Grip
A better solution than labeling is printing. Printable DVDs and printers capable of doing it are quite cheap nowadays.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member

I think there's a big difference between the labels on retail discs and a Neato label soaked down with inkjet juice.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Markers - They are not always easy to find, but I go into Staples-Business Depot type stores, and in the wall of choice of pens, markers, etc, I can usually find a few that say "Permanent Marker - writes on CD"

I just picked up a fresh marker a few days ago made by SHARPIE.

And being a real control freak (anything I can do to protect my music compilations will be done! :) ), I try not to press any harder than necessary when I neatly print a title on the top of the cd.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member

Retail discs are usually printed.

I'm looking at upgrading my inkjet for an Epson which can print directly onto CDs. Of course you have to use printable blank discs (more expensive) and you have to be careful how they're handled for the first 24 hours.

You can buy thermal transfer printers now (TDK do one) which can print a small band of text across one part of the disc surface. These don't need 'printable' discs, just ones with a blank face.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Thanks again for all of the replys. I will look into the printable DVDs, but for now I was able to find some good pens at Best Buy.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Just wanted to second the recommendation Buzz had about the Epson R300. it is awesome. I had bought an EZ/CD Printer for about $500 about 2 years ago to print on CDs and DVDs for my music demos, etc....The quality was good, but the feed mechonism on the printer sucked and I wasted a lot fo CDs and DVDs by the image not being lined up.

Now....the Epson R300 comes along and at less than 1/2 the price of my other CD/DVD printer. I was so fed up with the one I had, I got the R300 and I LOVE IT!. It is a solid printer for CD/DVD inkjet printing and paper/photo printing. It has 6 individual ink cartridges so you can replace just the colors you need to. The quality is awesome and so far it has worked flawlessly. The software that comes with it is even good. It also has flash memory slots for printing directly from memory cards, and a USB port on the printer for connecting a camera. The R300M is $30-50 more and is the same printer with a seperate LCD screen to see pictures on the memory cards before you print.

Get it....you won't be sorry you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks