What's new

Do all new DVD players play VCDs as well? (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Last year I noticed just about every single DVD player I looked at (most under $700) had the ability to play Video CDs. With the newer models, however, I am not seeing it listed as a feature on most of the ones I have looked at. Is this because they no longer play this format or because it is now assumed that all DVDs play them? Grant it, I only have 3 Video CDs, but I would like to know if it is going to be a feature I need to look for or if it is a feature they all have.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Greg

I believe this is a function on all players, old and new. It is doubtful however that you will ever use it. It is possible with a CD burner and a video card to place old VHS home movies and such onto video CD. There is even some software that will let you copy a DVD to this format but I can't understand why anyone would want to.

The VCD format is popular in parts of Asia however it is very rare in the rest of the world. The quality is very poor and you are limited to stereo sound.

I wouldn't give this feature a thought when buying your new player. Good luck!

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Thanks Doug,

I don't intend on using VCD unless I have to. For example, there was a certain show on FOX involving the Griffins that I happen to have on VCD and I'd hate to have to throw them out because my new DVD player doesn't work with them.

Thanks for the input!

Nate Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I use the feature. I've downloaded a lot of Aerosmith bootlegs and burned them to a VCD. This way I can take it to my friends house and play it. I've also been wanting to do that to my 'Family Guy' episodes, since Fox decided to cancell probably the best animatd cartoon in history.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks