What's new
World Wide Stereo

Do ALL 36" 4:3 TVs have Geometry Problems? (1 Viewer)

John Gido

Second Unit
I am interested in getting a 36" flat screen 4:3 TV (I can't convince the wife to go 16:9 yet as she watches TOO MUCH "regular" TV). However, every post seems to complain about geometry issues with the 36" models, and it doesn't seem to matter which manufacturer.

I currently own an older model JVC 27" and the picture is better than average. I was looking at the JVC AV-36F703 or AV36F803. I have seen the picture on these sets in a number of locations and it always seems to be better than the sets surrounding them. However, in doing research on the net, everyone that owns one seems to complain about geometry issues. I then proceeded to look up info on the Toshiba equivalent (I don't recall the model) and the geometry issue is brought up. Is this just a problem with 36" sets? I need to go with a direct view type TV as I have a large bay-type window to the right of the TV location which produces a glare, thereby ruling out a RPTV for daytime viewing (Blackout shades are "out of the question!").

I am appealing to the members vast knowledge in helping me decide how to approach this problem.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I know my 36" RCA has some geometery problems. I suspect it is just a more visible problem in sets this large. I would like some more info on this as well.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
most flad screen tv's have geometry issuses, but they are fixable in the service menu without much difficulty.

I have a Toshiba, and I love it, personally i consider the geometry fixes i had to make much like adjusting the tint and colour, its just somethign that has to be done and not too hard :)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I don't own a Sony Wega, but I have helped a few friends calibrate their Wegas using the Avia disc and each time I have been amazed by the excellent geometry on these sets (including the 36"). I know that other people have had geometry problems with their Wegas and so I guess my friends just got lucky.

-D

Andrew*W*S

Auditioning
I own a Samsung TXN3298HF with uncorrectable geometry problems. Not major, but distracting. I'm not happy at all. For as much as these HDTV's cost, I expect better engineering!

The only 35" or 36" TV's that I've seen that *don't* have either geometry problems or moire distortion are the Sony Trinitrons.

YMMV

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I have NEVER seen a 36" flat screen without some geometry problems, they all ahve them, whether you notice them or not. depending on the indivudal tv, not the brand the problems may be almost non existant or very noticable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks