What's new

DLP vs. LCD - The Discussion Thread that Combines Them ALL (1 Viewer)

Don G

Auditioning
I am looking at purchasing an LCD TV (Epson), and was wondering what people thought about LCD vs DLP?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Don G

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I cant comment on LCD as i dont own one. I do own a Samsung DLP and love it. I used it for TV, DVD and Video gaming and not one complaint on my end.

capt

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
App. 2 dozen threads on this topic have now been combined in one place. Instead of posting the same question repeatedly, people can now read the consolidated wisdom of all of who have responded to earlier inquiries.
M.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I was very impressed with the demo of the toshiba dlp projector at CES last year. The hd content that they where showing looked really good. But after going to the Runco and Vidikron boths I felt that there projectors had a crisper and better ballanced picture. I have seen the Sony LCD with HD HBO playing and it did look good but I think I prefere the DLP. They are saying that the edge that the old CRT projectors had over the DLP is fading fast. That the DLP can look just as good as the CRT's.

I am in the same boat as I am looking to get a projector and am trying to figure out the best route to go. I can get confusing when you get a good salesman and a good demo on a projector that has a great screen with it. The newer gen3 projectors with the high speed color wheels have taken care of the rainbow effect. At last years CES show I cant say I noticed any rainbow effect on any new projectors.

Susan I hope you find one that works for ya. My recomendation is for a dlp, but I would demo a minimum of 1 each to see what you prefere. I would demo as many different models as you can, using the same material. This will net you a projector that you should be very happy with. I feel that the DLP's have improved there detail and blacks in the recent 3rd generation projectors. The Toshiba did very well with a decent level of light in the room. That was one of the impressive things about there projector. But for the $5k range I beleive you can get a Vidikron or Runco dlp. I would make sure I got a really good screen to go with your investment. Even a really good projector can look terible with a bad screen. Dalite makes a nice quaility screen, but I am partial to Stewert Film Screen. Not only do they make a top notch screen but a vast majority of demo's from companies like Runco, Denon, Vidikron and Faroudja us Stewert Film Screen at CES to show off there products. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions for me please feel free to email me.

My sorces for the projector is DVD, Satalite (Direct TV), and upcoming hd formats. I plan to use a 80" - 110" screen in a room that will have anywhere from alittle light to no light. I hopefully will try to read this entire thread and see if there is any helpfull info. Would love to hear from anyone that currently owns a projection unit or anyone with some good tips.

MarkN

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have suggestions for a front projector DLP that has 1080i? (Or an online review site).

I only seem to find 1 or 2 that have 1080i but tons of 720.

TIA!

~Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks