What's new
World Wide Stereo

Display Technologies Pros vs Cons thread (1 Viewer)

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator

Well I'm in no position to disagree with you...however until I hear that it has been totally eliminated I think it should at least be a consideration. I'll adjust the list.

728x90

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The SSE is on the Samsung DLP too. I think it just takes a little getting used to before you stop thinking about it.

I kind of reminds me of when I first bought my Sony CRT RPTV (Steve, you can probably remember this too) where I started noticing scanlines at 480p or the mild grey ringing seen on the right sides of dark images on a lighter background.

I think every set has *something* in the image that takes getting used to in this regard.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

Yup, all sets have minor issues and one has to decide whether or not they can be lived with. The grey ringing was unnoticed by me until I read about it in one of the forums, I obsessed over it for a few weeks but it was completely forgotten for the last 4 1/2 years I had the Sony crt.

As for SSE, I see it when I look for it--I just don't look for it. It can be significantly less apparent if you take the set out of the default torch mode.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, after I was subjected to so much obvious SSE on these new LCOS/DLP sets with the high gain screens, I started seeing it in my older RPTV HDTV CRT set as well (a modest lenticular screen), but to a much lesser degree. It's like once you see edge enhancement, it's impossible to not see it when it's evident elsewhere. It's a curse, I tell ya!

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator

Well I did start the whole thread off by saying I wasn't the right guy for this.....

However, I based it on:

1st- forum threads
2nd- personal experience.

I'm wholly ready to be proved wrong though. I have no horse in the race.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

I've never experienced SDE on my DLPs and never heard of anyone else on DLPs. However, LCD is another story and I don't have a problem corrrecting the record if I'm wrong. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For 1080p LCOS-based sets, the SDE is only a consideration if you are very close to the screen (like a foot or less), otherwise, a non-issue. This is mainly due to the pixel structure (1920x1080) vs. lesser resolution models (720p, normally 1366x768 or 1280x720). You'll see the SDE on the 720p LCOS-based sets, but those are yesterday's news, model-wise.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure why you listed "half-life" as a con for plasma and not for LCD. The current half-life of CCFL lamps used in LCD backlights is no better than the phosphor half-life in plasmas. In either case, it's around 60,000 hours, which is plenty (>20 years at 8 hours per day usage).

-Steve

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator

I'll update that.

Regardless though, I'm listing points of consideration as well as hard facts. Thoough I agree that the half-life is not in reality much of an issue, I think it would be a poor list if it were not mentioned.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Well, you must be living in a cave! ;) SDE has always been a concern with DLP and continues to be. You have discrete pixel elements that are sharply defined and at large enough viewing angles can be seen as HF noise in the image.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Not on mine, not at any reasonable viewing distance, anyway. (I think we should stipulate that "1 foot from the screen" should not count as a viewing distance, since no sane person actually watches television that way.) And they're still being sold, at attractive prices, to people who, for a variety of reasons, aren't going to be able to take full advantage of 1080p and don't see any reason to pay a price premium for it. Among actual mass-market consumers 720p LCoS isn't yet yesterday's news.

Regards,

Joe

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is SDE an issue with wobulated (native 960x1080 sets that get mirror-bounced into 1920x1080 with the 1/120-of-a-second mirror tilt for its 1920x1080 resolution) DLP sets only? Meaning, once these new non-wobulated (full 1920x1080 pixel resolution) DLP sets arrive, will SDE go away because of its pixel structure being tight enough to ward off SDE from normal viewing distances (or even a little closer in)?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

It's still a minor concern. Obviously being much higher in resolution the 1080p native chips support much closer viewing angles than say a 720p chip, but 720p certainly had very visible SDE effect unless you're pretty far away.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interesting thread. This could be useful next time I'm shopping.

For CRT, I'd add another Con: poor geometry (distortion. not square image frames, particularly on larger sets)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

So I concur w/Reginald Trent and I've never experience SDE watching my previous owned 1080p 56" 56HM195 or my present 62" 1080p 62HM196 from approx. 8-1/2' away from the screen!

Now I've seen SDE when I'm too close to my Westinghouse LTV-37w2 (720p LCD).

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks