What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

different language music (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I'm really into Japanese music these days. Puffy AmiYumi is my favorite band right now.

I also really like Brazilian bossa nova.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I got into Chinese and Japanese pop earlier this year, and I'll be soon be ordering the soundtrack for My Sassy Girl, a Korean movie.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I've got some great European/Scandanavian pop/rock/dance that's really good:

Alizee (French)
Kent (Norwegian)
Sissel (Swedish, I think)
Rosanna Rocci (Italian, French)
Ingrid (French)
Marlene Farmer (French)
Claudia Brucken (German)

Keep this list growing...I LOVE discovering new and different music!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Michael, might I ask what music have you been listening to in Latin? ;) I heard a Christmas choral performance entirely in Latin once. That's it for me.:)

...yeah but I listen to alot of Latino jazz in Portuguese and Espanol. I got 2 French SA-CD's, Jennifer & Johnny Halladay not so long ago. I have other fur-in musica too. I've made a point of obtaining exotic music over the years. I have some German, Dutch, and Italian rock and jazz albums. I have samplers of popular hits from Sweden and France. All the Japanese music I have is instrumental, thank goodness!;) No matter how many Japanese movies I see, I don't learn much.

I'm definitely intrested in fur-in sounds!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
As part of my anime LaserDisc collection I have acquired a certain number of J-Pop CDs, mostly soundtracks. Some of it is bizarre, e.g. a record which is the Sailor Moon theme songs played on what sounds like a big music box. Some series have pop album tie-ins, e.g. my "Silent Mobius Music Album 2: Emergency" which is quite good -- apparently one qualification for a voice actress over there is the ability to sing. I only wish they wouldn't try to sing in English :p) . And I'm waiting on a CD-V. Woot!

And yes, I like music in Latin, but I can't stand these degenerate European dialects... buncha savages... who d'they think they are, anyway... [bitter mutterings of a classicist]... :D

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Michael, I have a Shakira CD. It didn't move me much.

One of my favourite fur-in language songs has this chorus...

"el disco es, el disc es, el disco es cultura" - The Commercials

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I like Indian music, but I don't have much knowledge of it. I've enjoyed the fusion of traditional with electronic. The sole discs in my collection are the soundtrack to Lagaan and a Rough Guide sampler. Maybe you could count Cornershop, but that one is mostly influences.

I've recently become interested in Samba, specifically the percussion ensembles or baterias. I saw a local group perform and thought it was way cool, especially since they had nubile young dancers in skimby Brazilian outfits as part of the show :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Cameron, have you heard that Tantra Lounge album of Indian music? That's one I've enjoyed.

Michael, maybe we can find some monks or friars sumwhar who's performs in Latin...?:)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

I used to see that disc at my local Best Buy in the SACD section and with a SACD price tag. So is it a SACD?

For me, there's disadvantage with being a music lover and being bilingual....the collection grows extremely fast. When I was growing, I collected all my Hong Kong pop albums, over 300, on cassettes. Then with CD, I re-collected another 400 albums. Now with SACD, I have over 80 HK pop SACDs (with 4 more coming in the mail). And this is all beside my English-language CDs.

Highly recommend....

Teresa Teng - Dann Dann Iuo Chyng
Chinese Tang Dynasty poems set to modern pop music. Released in the early 1980s, one of the most artistically-ambitious pop albums in HK pop. Now available on SACD, but debated continues as to whether the SACD, XRCD, or the vinyl version sounded better.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

Let's hear it for Puffy (aka Puffy AmiYumi)! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: If you are a fan of theirs, I can also recommend Tamio Okuda, their songwriter & producer, who has his own solo career, as well as late (broke up in 2001), great Pizzicato Five. Other fantastic artists in the genre of Shibuya-Kei include Cornelius, Kahimi Karie (who sings in English, Japanese, and French) and Fantastic Plastic Machine (although FPM's lyrics are usually in English).

Puffy are playing 3 shows in the US this October. NYC 10/08, LA 10/10, and SF 10/11.

I also love love LOVE the Bossa Nova, (Antonio Carlos Jobim and Joao Gilberto are the tops) as well as Tropicalia (Os Mutantes, Caetano Veloso, Gal Costa), and some newer Brazilian artists such as Djavan. Of course, Brazil's official language is the beautiful Portugese.

Super Furry Animals usually sing in English, but their album MWNG is in the unusual language of Welsh.

I also enjoy French pop (from the 60s), such as Serge Gainsbourg, Jane Birkin, and France Gall.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Thanks for the recommendations, Rob. :) I'll have to check those artists out.

Which CD was that?

Shakira is really the only Spanish-language artist I like. I think Donde Estan Los Ladrones? is a great album, with beautiful songs like "Inevitable" and "Tu". While I enjoyed her English-language debut Laundry Service, it lacked the poetic quality of that earlier effort.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only Rammstein fan here or what? I remember the Family values tour of '98 in Rochester. Korn headlined but half the audience walked right after rammstein finished their set.:D

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Danny, Tantra Lounge is a CD. It has no biz in the hi-rez section. You can inform Busted Buy of these gaps and omissions, it just doesn't register with their program. It is an intresting and decent sounding CD though. I bought it knowing it was not a CD, got it at BB. It started me thinkin' 'bout Indian music and I finally bought it.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks