What's new

Did I make a good choice? (1 Viewer)

Brad_Cox

Agent
Hey guys, a couple of weeks ago I posted a thread asking for advice on a new receiver. My Pioneer 815 blew an output chip after only about a month and because I was an idiot and didn't get it from an authorized dealer I was stuck for repair bills. I decided to move it to the bedroom HT when I get it back. I am pairing a receiver with Athena Audition fronts and center, Micra surrounds and rears and an SVS 20-39+.

My choices were pretty much a Denon 3805, Yamaha 2500, or Marantz 7500. I will tell you that at some point in the past 2 weeks I almost pulled the trigger on all three of these receivers.:D For me the HDMI was not something I was interested in so I figured I could get a $1000 receiver at a rebate because of the new offerings. I finally found a Yamaha 2500 on Ebay from an Authorized dealer for $590 shipped and I pulled the trigger yesterday. I am still a bit worried about the brightness of this receiver paired with my Athena's but I went for it anyway. I listen to about 15% music and 85% movies, so I wasn't to concerned with some threads I read that the Yamaha was not the most musical receiver.

What do you think? Do you feel I made a good choice based on price and features? Will it be too bright? The only one of the receivers I could see in my area was the Yamaha but it wasn't with Athena's. Also it is the only receiver I can find local service on without having to ship it to be repaired.

So is it :emoji_thumbsup: or :thumbsdown: ?

John Titan

Stunt Coordinator
Yamahas newer receivers are said by many to be less bright then they used to be (brightness is a subjective term anyway- Bright to some is warm to others).

I have HTR-5790 (don't remember what the RXV equivalent is)and I don't find brightness to be an issue at all.

Heres a review of the 2500
RX-V2500

I think when you get the 2500 and spend some time with it you'll like it alot.

Good luck and let us know what you think!

Brad_Cox

Agent
Thanks John,I needed to hear that. I guess I have like buyers remorse.:D I really think for the money and service options it was my best bet.I have a Denon 2910 DVD so I strongly considered Denon but the lowest price I could find from an authorized dealer was around $750 and once again I would have to ship it for service work. The Denon link would not have been compatible with my 2910, the 3910 is where the Denon link starts.

I will certainly let you know how I like it. It should get here around Monday according to the Ebay seller. I thank you for the review and its nice to hear positives from a Yamaha owner. I wondered about the term "bright" as well, I was sort of hoping someone would point out that it was a subjective term that varied from user to user. Thanks again.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I had Athena paired with both a yamaha rx-v630 and pioneer 1014. I preferred the yamaha.

Make sure you give us a full review of the yamaha when it arrives.

Leigh

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Terrible, terrible choice. Your only way out of this mess is to just ship it straight to me when it arrives - don't even bother to open the box.

OK, OK - you will be just fine (but you'd be even finer if you just shipped it...;~). The "bright" bit re: Yamaha's is really kind of ancient and in the end what really matters is just how it sounds to your ears. If you can't line 'em all up in your own room with all your other gear and A/B 'em ad nauseum, then you know what? You'll never know the difference. The 2500 is a very decent piece and you'll have tons of fun with it, too. Enjoy!

Brad_Cox

Agent
Thanks for all the feedback and reassurance guys. I got my Fed Ex tracking # and I will have to wait until Tuesday. I will try to give the most informed review that I possibly can give for you all. The only thing I have to compare it to is the Pioneer. I am looking forward to the set-up of the Yamaha as it is supposed to give a lot of information about room set-up etc.

I will let you all know.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks