What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Did beautiful people all of a sudden become talented musicians? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The non-beautiful musicians and singers probably become studio session people or they do TV and radio commercials for a living.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

I'm sure there is more talent out there than we can possibly imagine. They don't get big because there are only so many people that can. Bad luck, bad management, not following certain trends, etc. The chances of hitting it big are so small that it's more rational to wonder why a particular band did make than not.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Seems a bit harsh to lump Ms Gibson in that bunch, she actually wrote and produced her own album, IIRC apparently the youngest person to do so? At all of age 16.

Anyone know what she's doing now? Again, IIRC she was in a Broadway production of Grease a few years ago, is she still performing on stage in musicals now?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I was hoping you guys were going to post some pictures of these artists!;)

Wes

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Why can't we have talented artists who also have some sort of appeal. Elvis was the man. He was talented yet still got the chicks wet. Ditto George "I'll be in the toilet" Michael. Robert Palmer was cool and talented. Bryan Ferry is an icon to males and females and a talented artist to boot. Marvin Gaye wasn't exactly ugly and he could sing a tune. Ditto Frank and Dean. The problem now is lack of talent,poor song writing and production and bland persona's. Theres nothing wrong with sex appeal as long as its backed up with that special something. :D

PS- As for the chicks, Kate Bush was tasty back in the day and was also very very talented. Classy too.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
While looks ultimately have nothing to do with singing and/or songwriting ability, we are visual creatures. There have been many artists I've checked out because of word of mouth or great reviews; I'll freely admit that there have been a good number of female artists I've checked out because they're good looking. Without the talent (or at least music that connects with me), though, I don't remain interested.

Case in point: Gretchen Wilson. Story in Entertainment Weekly this week, getting promoted heavily...and she's hot. Just for Wes: ;)

Based on a visual appeal and some good reviews, I'll look into her music. But if I don't like it, I won't buy the album, go to the show, etc.

So bottome line: I don't think it's necessarily wrong to use an artist's looks to draw interest. I think it's a shame that no-talent hacks can continue to succeed with lackluster and highly augmented vocals simply because they "look good."

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
For those are completely turned off by visuals in their music, I wonder if people miss out on some good music because a talented performer is also attractive.

For example, I happen to think Cassandra Wilson is phenomenaly gorgeous. She also happens to be one of the most intriguing and enjoyable singers around. Some of her album covers glam her up a bit, but tastefully. I wonder if people see that and think of her as just another lite-jazz vocalist or pop starlet.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ough, ough, ough! I think I can answer this thread's main question definitively!

The Roy Clark Big Note Guitar Songbook and course.;)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Mark
Come on; it's Deborah....NOT Debbie!
She's all grown up with her own site and everything!

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
No one is turned off by the visuals. It's the music execs who go and round up 5 pretty boys or girls, hook them up w/ voice coaches and dance choreographers, plaster their pretty faces on every billboard and light post in town, and expect me to pony up $18.99 at Best Buy for their CD after hearing their first single (that they didn't write or play any instruments on) overplayed on the radio for the next 3 months. If this is the "good music" you're referring to, this is neither "good", nor are they "talented".

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, how much of the musical landscape is made up of 'Nsync and their ilk? It's very little. If that defines current music for you, than you're falling for the marketing, even if you don't buy their CD.

My point is that people in the business are going to push good looks if they have it to work with, even with talented artists. Does that mean ugly musicians are getting left behind? Maybe, we just don't know that. Is it a coincidence that the most popular jazz singer right now is an attractive blonde with nice legs? Either way, a lot of people really like her music.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Mike, w/ all due respect, you are reading w-a-a-a-y too much into this thread and into my original comments. This isn't a "hate the beautiful people" thread. Again, I feel that w/ today's new artists, it's all about "the look" than about the music.

The scenario I mentioned that you are referring to w/ your comment was just an example. If you look at my original post you will see that I referred to boy/girl bands as well as new solo artists - especially the new solo artists. True, there are attractive and talented new artists both known and unknown right now. There always has been, and there always will be. But right now, I perceive a trend taking place in pop music that sacrifices the talent, and pushes "the look". As someone else here put it already, people like Brittney, JLo, N'Sync, Beyonce, and Jessica Simpson didn't amass their fortunes because of their talent. What comes to your mind at the mention of JLo?.....Not talented artist, but yep you guessed it, BOOTY! Her big attractive (depending on who you are) butt has earned her millions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.