What's new

Denon Dvd-2900 - Poor picture quality? (1 Viewer)

WayneF

Auditioning
I recently purchased a DVD-2900 to replace a DVD-A player and SACD player. The DVD-A player is a Toshiba SD-9200 and the SACD player is a Sony DVP-NS900V. I feel like the sound quality is just as good but the DVD quality is absolutely horrible. The picture is grainy, overly bright, washed out, and almost unwatchable. I have the unit hooked up using the progressive scan output to my Toshiba 40H80 inputs. The Denon is configured for progressive output and I have checked all the conections even to changing cables. I cannot get the Denon to look any better than a $50 Wal-mart DVD player. The dealer is a a loss too. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be appreciated.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Twere me, assuming the player was set up and configured properly, I'd next try it in interlaced mode on the same display. If it still looked shabby, I'd take it back to the dealer and have them hook it up to a similar display. If it still looked bad I'd have them try another 2900 and if still not what I expected, hand it back.

Mort

WayneF

Auditioning
I have not tried to calibrate the picture but maybe it would help. The reason that I have not is that i still have the Sony DVP-NS900V and another $180 Sony DVD changer (progressive scan) hooked up to the TV. Both those units are still providing excellent picture quality. The $180 Sony changer is only a few months old and it rivals the much more expensive Sony 900V in picture quality. I did switch the DVD-2900 to interlaced mode and the picture got much worse. There were false shadows and ghosting all over the place. It was unusable in that mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks