What's new

Denon AVR-884 and AVR-1804- The Same? (1 Viewer)

I can get a pretty good deal on the SVR-884 from B&H photo video for $350, where as the 1804 would cost me around $160 more. What I was wondering if it is essentially the same unit as the AVR-1804. Denon has the owner's manual available online and it says "AVR-1804/884 Operating Instructions"
The only difference I can find says on the 1804:
90 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please ask model-specific questions in the area devoted to that type of equipment.

The 884 is essentially the same as the 1804 but intended for sale by certain retailers. Don't know anything beyond that.

As for the power ratings, the 90-watt figure was taken with an 8 ohm load across the full audio bandwidth of 20 Hertz (formerly known as "cycles per second") to 20 kiloHertz. But for the figure to be more meaningful (and helpful), Denon should have stated if the figure was achieved with all six channels driven (but doing so would have lowered the power rating in real-world terms).

The 125-watt figure is even less helpful. It was arrived at by using a lower-impedence load (6 ohms) and at just one kiloHertz (more juice at that frequency) with only a single channel driven.

The best, most meaningful figure would read something like, "power output is XX watts into 8 ohms, from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with six channels driven."

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Yep, except for the different model number silk-screened on the outside, they are identical.

Denon does this to save on manufacturing costs and still allows them to distribute through 2 different retail paths.

Jack pretty well covered the power issue. The rating are actually the same. Just different measuring terminology...

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Sorry if this was in the wrong place. Where should I place this sort of thing in the future, "Home Theater- Receivers, Amps..."?
Just saw a post here mentioning a specific denon receiver and thought this was the place. My bad.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the different number silk-screened on the front and the specs that are listed while driving 6 Ohm speakers, the AVR-884 only has a 1 year warranty -- and not a 2-year warranty like the AVR-1804.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ashley, no need to apologize. The Basics area is for asking about home-theater essentials ("What is meant by 'bass management'?," "What's the difference between a receiver and a pre-pro?," etc.). Since your question involved a specific make and model of AVR, it was best to locate it in the Receivers/Amps section. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks