What's new

denon avr-4802 with b&w600s ? (1 Viewer)

Bunkie_r

Auditioning
are the b&w 602s and 601s too underpowered to match with a denon avr 4802?
was supposed to get a 3802, but got a great deal for the 4802 ;) now i am not sure if the speakers i currently have can take the 125watt(@ 8 ohms) power of the 4802.
the b&ws are all rated 25 to 120 watts @ohms.
did i get the right receiver for my speakers or should i have just settled for the 3802?
please help

Yogi

Screenwriter
Too much power can never hurt your speakers, too little power can. If you are driving your speakers with a 25 watt amp you could go into distortion when listening to loud passages and as a result destroy your speakers. Going the other way around, if you were driving your speakers with 200 W of power you would never run our of steam and you amps output would stay clean and linear no matter what the demands were. Speakers can withstand 4-6 times more power for short duration, than their rated power. So power never hurts but distortion does and you are more likely to run into the later with an underpowered amp.

Hook up your 4802 and enjoy your system. I am sure it sounds phenomenal.

Bunkie_r

Auditioning
thanks for tip. i was thinking of scrimping a little with the surround backs (to enjoy the dts-es and dd ex capability ) and will most likely get much cheaper speakers that will likely even have a lower maximum wattage capacity level ( dont know if the term i used is right ;) )
can anyone recommend a good but cheap pair to use as surround backs?

Yogi

Screenwriter
I remember seeing a pair of PSB alpha book shelves somewhere on clearance for $120. Thats a sweet price for a sweet set of speakers that would make excellent SB speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks