What's new

Denon AVR-1713 or comparable? Polk Audio? (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi All,
Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't signed in for a long time, but need some more advice.
I'm moving into a new home next month and wanted to get a new receiver and speakers. I'm currently using a Sony HTiB (DAVFX-500).
I was thinking about getting the following to start:
Denon AVR-1713 $389
Polk Monitor 40 - $93/pair
Polk OWM 3 - for rears - $100
Polk PSW-10 - $80
Polk CS20 - $170
The room is approx 10' x 20'. I'm not looking to blast my walls out, but to provide a nice clean sound at normal volume. I'd like to crank it up every now and then too.
Any feedback or advice on other speakers would be great.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As long as the 1713 has all the features you need/want...
The only thing I'd change out is the sub. The PSW-10 is close to being the worst sub on the market. I'd rather have the BIC V-80 if you can't spend much more than that.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
The avr1713 has the features I would use... 5.1 + the newer codecs... Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. I believe it can do Dolby Pro Logic, but I don't see it on the features list.
Any difference between the 1613 and 1713?
I'll take a look at that sub.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I've updated by cart with the BIC V80. Looks like a great sub on paper.
Are there any other changes you'd make the the rear/front/center speakers?
I'm really looking for some type of entry level system so that I can upgrade later on piece by piece. The chose the CS20 (Center) because I believe that is nice center speaker, and a good place to start.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1613, you lose(from the product page)...
1 HDMI
Aud XT, you get regular Multi EQ
2nd zone pre-out.
If you can live without Multi EQ XT and you don't need 6 HDMI...
Neither one has component video...which in this day and age, you only need if you have a Wii or an older "not compatible with HDMI" XBox(if there are any of those left still working...). And even then, you can buy the "Wii to HDMI"...

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
That's exactly why I'm not worried about a NON-HDMI output from any device.
I'd like the Aud XT though. 1713 it is.
Thanks for the help, and if you have any other speaker recommendations that would produce the same sound as the Polk speakers, but for less $$, please let me know.
Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Make sure you can live with the BIC warranty terms...
BIC requires you to mail them a "bad part" and wait for the replacement. Granted...most sub manufacturers are that way. If you have a problem with it...you, yes you...have to remove the driver or the amp(the only two parts that "can go bad") and mail it.
Some (Epik is one I think) will mail you the replacement part on their dime...with a return envelope. So keep that in mind with BIC. You pay shipping to them...they pay shipping back.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Ugh! I am not a fan of removing parts myself... if that were the case, I can just purchase a replacement part myself...
I'd prefer to spend a little more with a better warranty procedure. I've looked at a few subs, but not sure which are actually any good. The closest audio store is in the city, which is pretty far from me.
What are some good subs I can take a look at? I guess price point being $100 - $200.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, at your price range...pretty much all there is is Dayton(Parts Express) and BIC.
As far as I know Dayton has a "remove it yourself" warranty as well. That is one of the reasons you can buy the sub for

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I see. For now I'll go with the BIC. Hopefully upgrade in a year or so.
I've decided to also remove the OWM3 speakers and instead get a 2nd pair of Monitor 30s. The price is actually cheaper too, but only by about $10.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Yes. I am not sure how I'll be setting up the room just yet, so I figured I'd go w/ the bookshelf. Later I'd like to upgrade to some TSI floor standing speakers in the front. Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks