What's new

DENON..and D&M Holdings is the worst company ever (1 Viewer)

dorsch

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron Dorsch
In short, I have had THE MOST negative experience of my life with both DENON customer service representative D&M HOLDINGS, as well as my brand new AVR-1909. After purchasing my unit in Sacramento (no local DENON dealers), more than 5 hours away from my home I hooked everything up and everything worked for 20 minutes tops. I attempted to return the unit to the store (BEST BUY) but they have no means to accept shipping returns, so I turned to DENON corporate, relying on their reputation to take care of this situation. I would have to drive 10+ hours, get a hotel room, and pay for gas to return an item that worked for less than 1/2 hour.

I contacted D&M Holdings, who are the corporate headquarters for DENON as well as other high quality audio equipment. I spoke with Mary St. John about the problem, and suggested that since the unit was BRAND NEW and obviously failed as a result of a faulty part that they send out a new unit instead of making me wait for a repair. I was told the turn around for repairs was approximately 1 month. I informed her that waiting 1 month for something that has only worked for 20 minutes was unreasonalbe. When I asked to speak to her supervisor, she told me that she was the supervisor and there was no one else for me to talk to... However, she did offer to place my unit to the front of the repair queue upon arrival and return it to me via next day air. This occured 5/1/2009. I was just informed today after I called that my unit had shipped out July 1...and not even overnight as promised. Lets see...average time is 30 days, but being placed in front of other repairs should get things out a little quicker than that...however over 9 weeks later I still do not have the unit. Needless to say, the item wasn't even shipped overnight, and I doubt it was placed in the front of the queue. What a worthless company with no regard for people spending their hard earned money during tough economic times.

I would suggest to those of you considering buying a DENON product, that you buy an alternative... I know Yamaha has great products and service, among manny other offerings. I would stongly advise that purchases of DENON, McIntosh, Marantz, Snell, Escent, and Allen&Heath be avoided at all costs as their US service center representatives D&M HOLDINGS misleads consumers and offer the POORSET customer service I have recieved during my 36 years on this earth.

I plan on selling this receiver...most likely at a loss, and I personally will never own another DENON product in my life.

MARY ST. JOHN
LEAD OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR
[email protected]
T 201.762.6660 F 973.771.2009

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Wait, you live in CA, and are FIVE HOURS from the nearest Best Buy?? I had no idea this was even possible...

That's pretty poor service nonetheless. I've owned nearly all Denon equipment since 1987, and have never had a significant problem (I serviced my 1987 model DCD-1500II CD player myself when the hub clamp wore out...), so I can't speak to service. Plus, that was about three owners ago... With the exception of a junk portable CD player I bought in 1990, every piece of Denon equipment I've bought is still working- no kidding. Much of it is in other people's hands now, but I'm currently the 2nd owner of an AVR-3802 that fills my theater with 7.1 sound just fine.

Good luck on the sale.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Somebody, somewhere, has had problems with every manufacturer there is (mine is with Panasonic). If we all listen to everyone, and don't deal with who they say, none of us would have anything! Instead of traveling 5 hrs. to a Best Buy, you should have ordered from Amazon.com...............

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
DENON..and D&M Holdings is the worst company ever

I'm quite sure some customers/stockholders of Enron, AIG, and Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC would beg to differ.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
First off sorry for you problems with Denon, though instead of complaning about them, your issue is with Bestbuy. There is no reason why they should not have excepted your receiver and issued you store credit or ability to exchange or purchase a new one. Looking at BB return policy doesn't indicate they wouldn't except the return. There is a section in their return policy that deals with defective merchandise. Also what do you mean by the can't receive shipping returns? Did you buy it online? Because online stuff can be returned to the store according to the return policy.

Edited by Kevin. W - 7/10/2009 at 01:48 am GMT

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
First, I'm sorry for your difficulty. I've owned all Denon for a very long time, and have been very happy. But I think the heart of your problem here isn't Denon.
I've ordered stuff through Best Buy online, and as long as I had a statement and a receipt, I never had a problem returning an item to a store, which happened to me twice (camcorder, and an item we recieved as a gift).

The fact that Best Buy wouldn't take it back is insane.. as the selling party, they are your support.. not Denon corporate, really.. if you were to protest and say you were unhappy with it, the seller is Best Buy. If I were you, rather then drive anywhere or anything like that, just tell Best Buy to make it right or you'll protest the credit card charges.

I get it this is your one post, you probably won't post again, and this is your "warning" to all against Buying Denon.. I admit, I've had two Denon units repaired/upgraded.. and turnaround was fast and I was very happy. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience.
I've never had any dealings with DM-holdings, but do see that they are the parent company; I've always just used the Denon direct service..

But that all aside, I'm still really puzzled why Best Buy gave you such grief over a relatively low-budget receiver that they didn't want to turn around. Before this went on any shipping spree to a manufacturer, they really were the ones you should have fought with.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
mattCR,

Best Buy didn't tell him they wouldn't take it back, they told him he couldn't ship it back to them, he had to return it in person. Since the Best Buy is 5 hours away, the OP didn't want to drive that far. Why he drove 5 hours in the first place instead of ordering it online is the real question here.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
He maybe should have called BB.com and talked to customer service. They may have allowed him to return it via mail. It does say at BB.com that mail in returns are doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks