What's new

Denon 3803 Specs? (1 Viewer)

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen or heard anything regarding 3803? What can we expect for upgrades from 3802? THX select, higher bandwidth for component switching (50MHz +), more digital inputs, RS-232?

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
I read this at the 'Sound & Vision' Forum via a google search:
"I found info on the 3803 yesterday from a data chart given to me by a dealer. I am not an audiophile but am learning, so if I miss something or make a mistake of listing a feature that the 3802 already has let me know. This is what I found to be some of the features the 3803 has over the 3802: 8 channel 24 bit/192-kHz with SACD compatibility (PCM-1704); 40/60/80 Variable High Low Pass Crossovers (for sub?);24/192 (analog only) Analog-to-Digital conversion-Bit Depth/Sampling Rate; True 24-bit/192-kHz Digital input Capability; Seven composite and seven S-video inputs vs: five composite and S for the 3802; Ten analog inputs vs: 9; 36.5 vs: 36.4 lbs; the following I am not sure of but here is what the data says five optical inputs vs: three sets of digital optical inputs on the 3802 (do sets mean two if so the 3802 has one more optical input then the 3803 which lists five. I think the 3803 has 2 extra optical inputs; 2 digital outputs vs one set on the 3802. This confuses me with denon listing sets for the 3802 and just outputs for the 3803. Can a denon owner straighten me out on these inputs and outputs. Power is still 110."
"I rechecked the sheet and the new 3803 does have dolby digital EX decoding,along with composite to S video hook up. It also has ALPHA AL 24 processing (FL/FR) What is this alpha AL 24?
[c]...[/c]
Too much for me to list and find in this sheet. It's not THX certified."
Each of these posted by a guy called Blaster at the beginning, and middle of the post respectively.
The thread is:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/cgi...c&f=3&t=001694
(Quoted here, as I had trouble accessing the board earlier.)
I'm not sure its 100% reliable, but it sounds genuine enough to me.

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
Wow... Something to look forward to!
Yeah, it does look good. Funnily enough, if this information is correct (and the whole picture) I think that it's cemented my decision to buy the 3802 at a discount sometime before it comes out.

(The option of a 60Hz crossover and composite to S-video switching are things I'd like, but not enough for the extra price and time. In its defense, I think it might have taken THX post-processing at the same price to make me wait for it.)

I'm still waiting to see some more official, and comprehensive, details though.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I was hoping for more of a change from the 3802. I've got a five year old Denon 3200 that I would like to replace and was thinking the 3803 was the one. However I'm now thinking I'll wait until Firewire comes along or I can get a 3802 in the box for $500-$600.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like it is ready for SACD decoding internally if they are using (what looks like) the Cirrus Logic SACD/DVD-Audio compatible "Super" DACs. However, from reviews I've read the double-duty DAC chips by CL did not post favorable results in the SACD category when compared to a stand-alone SACD player from Sony. Basically great DVD-Audio PCM quality, but so-so DSD performance.

Although, I could be wrong in interpreting these 3803 specs.

One thing I'd bet on is a higher sticker price than the 3802.

Dan

Kevin*R

Agent
I'm in the market myself and would like to know for sure when the release data will be. Anyone? ;)

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I just found this UK link at which has some details and photographs. Can't vouch for its' veracity.Link Removed

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
One thing I'd bet on is a higher sticker price than the 3802.
I hope not to bet on that... :)
The new Yamaha RX-V1300 is *cheaper* than the model it replaced, the 1200. "Smaller, faster, cheaper..." Thank you Gordon Moore!
Garrett- That link has some wrong info. It will have 24/192 DACs, not 24/96's. It's also rumored to have a 60 Hz crossover. 2 coax inputs, not 1; 2 digital rec outs, not 1, etc. Looks like the specs for the 3802.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The 3802 has 24 bit/96 kHz DACs, and this lists the DACs as 24 bit/192 kHz. Plus, for some reason it says that the DAC's have SACD compatibility.

Hmmm... could this one have the Denon digital link input? Of course, you would have to have a proper Denon player to use it.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks