What's new

denon 3802 or onkyo 797/898 (1 Viewer)

Dan A

Agent
I am close to buying a new reciever to replace my Yamaha RXV-890. I would like it to be in the $800-$1000 range. I like my Yamaha, but don't love it, and its going to end up in my basement. I don't think I want another Yammie. The Sonys look interesting but it seems that there are newer features on the Denon and the Onkyo units.
My system is
Panasonic RP-91 DVD (w/dvd-a)
HK FL8400 CD player
Toshiba tn50x81 (non-squeeze)4:3 RPTV
PSB 3LR fronts (replaced rear venting minimonitors in enclosed bookshelf)
Paradigm, Atom rears, CC170, 1000 sub.
I watch a lot of sports, some TV show, and a few DVDs a month. I listen to lots of music (often while watching sports)and I like some of the Yamaha DSPs, which seem to make up for the deficincies of my acousticly poor room.
Of the recievers that have been out for a while, the numerous reviews of the 3802 are quite convincing and I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed.
I've read some of the mind-numbing literature on the new Onkyo receivers, but as yet no reviews. Side by side comparisons at home would be nice, but my system is such a tangle of wires I can't really envision setting up one and then another reciever at home. Side by side in a store is getting harder and harder with multichannel systems playing through different speakers.
Assuming, these units don't sound too different, it probably comes down to features, what will I use, what will I miss and what will last me the longest.
I'm really hoping some of you get a 797 soon so that I can read more informative reviews.
As I say below, 11/5, just saw the Yamaha RX-V1200, and 2200. Maybe I shouldn't be so fast to give up on Yamaha.
[Edited last by Dan A on November 05, 2001 at 10:55 AM]

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, Dan. I just went through that, too. The only comparison review I was able to find (other than forums) was here: Link Removed The comparison was with the 787, but I think they are basically the same except for the addition of Pro Logic II
Either one would be sweet; I went with the 797 for $$ purposes and it had all I needed. Got it from Jason at onecall.com.
------------------
[Edited last by Robert McDonald on October 25, 2001 at 03:37 PM]

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Go with the Denon.I just got one 3 weeks ago and have not turned it off yet.
------------------
yahoo.messenger: billsfan71
MY DVD'S

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Why not consider the 1050 from OutlawAudio? I just turned in my yammie for one. The money saved can be used on other equipment. I am a musician and listen to a lot of music (and NFL ticket on my Dish :)! Go Steelers!). The DSP modes sound good on my Definitive Techs 2000s. But for straight music I also have a pair of MAGs hooped up to an old tube McCintosh amp. in my study No comparison.
I put on my DVD of Dave Mathews on the 1050 and put the center channel in "Phantom Mode" and I couldn't believe my ears. I can hear every rim shot Carter Beauford hit on his Yamaha Drums! Never mind what the new Star Wars sounds like!
My old Yammie had only pro-logic. Digital makes a huge difference.
Good Luck!
Michael
------------------

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Michael,
No 6.1 decoding for DTS tracks. I'd say go Denon for the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoding. My neighbor bought one and it's a good receiver.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Brad Newton

Second Unit
Is it true that the Onkyo has higher bandwidth for component switching? Would the Denon component switching be of great concern since I have an older 36" RCA that only has (1) Svideo input & (2) rca inputs or would it degrade my picture more than the Onkyo unit. Picture quality is a major concern to me. My picture from regular coax from the satellite is as sharp as the svideo signal. I don't want to loose that picture quality
------------------
May God Guide and Guard the USA!

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Brad, you won't be using component video switching with your older TV. And even with a newer HDTV, you don't have to run the video through the receiver unless you want to, or need to (because you have more component video devices than your HDTV has inputs for).
I have the Onkyo 797, and find it to be warm sounding in a natural way. I even have Paradigm Studio 20's which many consider to be bright.
I prefer the Onkyo's over Denon. I don't like the functionality of the Denon's, and how you can't tell what you're doing most of the time unless you use the On Screen Display.
The 898 is a little over-priced though, and so the Denon 3802 is a better value if you want to have a 7 speaker setup. If you plan to have a 5 speaker setup for now, and want to add a rear center in the future (or you can add 2 rears with an additional power amp for the Onkyo 797) - then I'd go for the 797.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
Paul,
If that is true, then what good is component switching? As you can tell, by my quesions, I am new to home theater & am trying to become "educated" before I make any purchase.
------------------
May God Guide and Guard the USA!

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I have both the 4802 and the 898 at the moment. I'm comparing them both in my system, then the loser will go.
I'm not using the internal amps for the front stage(L,C&R), just the surrounds are using the internal amps of these receivers. I've had them both in and out of my system for almost two weeks and will continue the comparison until a clear winner is found.
Right now if I had to pick a winner it would be the Onkyo 898 based solely on functionality. This includes the units functionality as well as the supplied remote.
The only real advantage the 4802 has in my system over the 898 is the two surround speaker feature.
Sound wise they are both quiet, powerful and clean.
I also like the intell-volume feature of the Onkyo.
Setup, function and info are right there on the 898. The 4802 takes a lot of getting use to and still is a pain to use. JMO.......... of course..........
geo
[Edited last by Geo on October 29, 2001 at 04:42 PM]

AllanW

Grip
Anyone know where I can get the spec information for the Onkyo 797. The Onkyo site does not even recognize it as a receiver in their lineup.
Thanks,
Allan

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
For the 797 you can go to the European Site . Here are the specs from the manual:
100 watts per channel minimum RMS at 8 ohms, 2 channels driven from 20 hz to h0 khz with no more than 0.08%thd. 130 watts min. rms at 6 ohms, 2 channels driven from 1 khz with no more than 0.1% thd;
Dynamic Power Output (stereo): 2x250 watts at 3 ohms; 2x210 watts at 4 ohms; 2x130 watts at 8 ohms.
Crutchfield.com also has specs/features listed for it.
------------------
[Edited last by Robert McDonald on October 29, 2001 at 06:35 PM]

Nick P

Second Unit
mark damon,
That's funny, I found just the opposite to be true. Onkyo receivers sound way too mellow for my taste (home theater anyway). My Denon 3802 has a much more dynamic sound without being as harsh as a Yamaha.
------------------

Dan A

Agent
Maybe I was a little harsh in dismissing the Yamaha receivers in my earlier post. I just visited the Wiz, which has the RX-V1200 on display along side the Denon 3802. Feature wise it looks to be a good receiver, (although I would probably go with the more powerful 2200) and as I said earlier I am a fan of the DSPs. The salesman pointed out that Yamaha DSPs are more versatile in terms of being able to set the delays and volumes to match the room. he said the Denon and Onkyo had more static DSPs.
Running the Denon and Yamaha side by side but through different speakers didn't prove much. I've heard the rumor that new Yamahas sound a little different (less bright) than the older models.
So what happens if I throw the RX-V2200 into the equation vs the Denon 3802 and the Onkyo 797. Is the choice any easier?
I'm on the fence big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks