What's new

Denon 3802.......just a couple of questions (1 Viewer)

Hi y'all
Newbie to this board and have been researching the basics of setting up my HT since I made the substatial investment (according to my paycheck) in this receiver and the Polk RM7500 speaker set. I had some questions regarding the Denon 3802 receiver that I am guessing someone here can answer:
1. Looking at the Denon website, they listed under the 3802 receiver listing, something "new" relating to the receiver. I opened it up and it gave me a listing of "RC Codes"
http://www.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/sfor3802.pdf
2. This is probably a basic question, but what are the second set of power rating listed for this receiver, or any receiver as a matter of fact, in the power amplifier section. Listed for the Denon are: (front only for example purposes.
Front
110 + 110 (8ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, .05% THB)
150 + 150 (6ohms, 1kHZ, .7% THB)
I was just curious on these questions so anybody that can help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Bob McKenny

Agent
Chris,

1) The RC codes are for a wired RC system that are generally used on real high end systems. For most of us a Phillips Pronto can be programmed to be just as functional for less than 1/10 the price.

2) The two wattage ratings are for two different impedance speakers. Most speakers are 8 ohms. From basic electrical properties V=IR where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance (impedance). Power is Voltage times Current. If an ampifier was perfect and had tremedous reserves it will provide twice the power into a 4 ohm load as it would into an 8 ohm load. This requires the current to double since the voltage is basically constant. At 110W for a normal 8 ohm load a perfect amplifer would deliver 147W into 6 ohms and 220W into 4 ohms. The Denon appears to meet the test at 6 ohms but actually falls short. One other requirement is that the amplifier should deliver the power over the entire audible range, 20-20000 hertz. The Denon does do this at 8 ohms but is unable to do this at 6 ohms. It is only delivering 150W at 1000 hertz which is a much easier test. In practice very few amplifiers are able to deliver twice the power at 1/2 the impedance due to the tremendous power reserves required. How well the amplifier does at comming close to this performance is often a good way to judge quality.

THD is total harmonic destortion. The lower the better.

Bob

Thanks for the help. I used to have all those electrical formulas memorized back in the high school days, but being 8 years removed, they have been long forgotten. You don't get too much electrical engineering taught to you when you go to college for your CPA, unless you are like about half of the accountants that fall into business after dropping out of the Engineering program. I skipped the whole "dropping out" part and went straight for my CPA. But once you explained it in "formula" terms, it was much easier to understand and some of it came back to me.

As for the RC codes, this is probably a stupid question, but what is a wired RC system? It sounds like something I will probably never use in my lifetime but the knowledge of the product is alway a plus.

Again thanks for the help

Chris P.

Bob McKenny

Agent
Are you sure about that? and when you say the lower the better you mean better sound or better appeal?
Theoretically the sound will be better and more accuract at lower distortion levels. THD increases with increasing power. Alot of times the power rating of the amplifier is determined based on THD not exceeding some pre-determined level. However, one brand of amplifier with 0.07% THD may indeed sound better than another brand with a 0.02% THD.

Chris:

A wired system is one in which the remote pad is hard wired to the components (the back of your receiver in your case). This is in contrast to the infrared or radio frequency systems normally used.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks