What's new

Denon 3801 vs Denon 3803 (1 Viewer)

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
Yogi - Now he wants $400 for the 3801. should I pick it up or try for the refurbed 2803 at 460 from ecost?

I'll be glad when I can end my darn research and actually listen to my equipment. This is taking much longer than I expected. Choices choices ...

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
Is the AVR 983 the same as the 2803? ecost has this model available for 479. Any drawbacks to buying this over the 2803 or is it simply a rebadged model name?

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
An update - I think I'm leaning towards HK now. They seem to have better pre pro features than the denons. I'm trying to decide between the 325, 330 and 525. Will keep you alll posted on what I finally end up with. Thanks for the help!

What do you guys think about HK receivers?

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I would be careful with HK receivers. They've had several reported problems discussed in many threads. Doing a search will give you an idea. Also check out www.AVSforum.com

Have a good one.

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

Can you ellaborate? I have done tons of research on this site, avsforum and audioreview and couldn't find any negatives about the HK 525. At 450 it seems like a steal. The only problem i found was the audio dropout issue and I think I can live with that.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
To be honest, I've read so many negatives about HK receivers, I wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole. Even the CC sales guy said they've had problems.

I'm actually surprised you haven't found any threads, the AVR-8000 and the AVR-520 had the most complaint threads. The newer models seemed to have fewer complaints but had the drop out you spoke of. The AVR-525 I think had incorrect DTS LFE levels and the AVR-520 did also, but think it had no LFE channel adjustment(not subwoofer output but LFE). Don't take that as fact because I maybe mixing them up, but I do remember the DTS LFE level was substantially off by many member's technically findings. The AVR-8000 had a hiss in the center channel as I remember. It's best to do your own searches, they should come up rather easy as one thread I think had over 10 pages.

Good luck, but don't let me tell you what not to buy, do the searches and choose for yourself.;)

Have a good one.

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
Wierd. I have done some serious ressearch on both the 325 and the 525 and can't find any overly negative threads. Yes, the dropout is documented but I think I can live with it.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Try here.

I pulled up 2 threads for sh*ts and giggles and already descriptions of problems.

Make your own decision and good luck.:)

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the links Mike. *sigh* more research and more confusion. I think the more you research electronic the more confusing it is. I think I should just stop thinking and pull the trigger.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Newer HK seemed to be more trouble free,however I would only buy those new for sure.Just to give my anecdote regarding refurbished products.
I bought Pioneer Elite PD-54 cd player directly from Pioneer,on one of their "Tent Event" in '97. It was missing the remote,but it was flawless otherwise,it had 2 stickers on the back regarding passed quality check dates.The player was manufacturered in '94! Anyhow I snagged it for $75.00[it used to sell new for $500.00],and since then it is the only componenent that remains in my system,it never once gave trouble,and sounds good as new of course. So I would say buying refurb could go either way.I know it doesn't help your dilemma.
Get the 3801 from the HTF member,and be done with it.

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
Lewis, I'm 90% sure I'm going with the HK 525. I like the bass management features it offers and I think it will make a good pre pro. The only debate I have right now is if I need bass management in my receiver at all. I'm researchign the BM of the 563 right now. If I find that it does an okay job, I will skip on the 525 and pick up the 325 insted.

This is time consuming but I think doign the research is even more fun than buying. :)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Krishna,

You might also consider the ICBM from Outlaw audio to handle the bass management process. If you are able to find the ICBM at a decent price, you could go for essentially any receiver.

There I go again ... muddying the waters for you and making your purchase decisions less clear once again. :)

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, you ain't helping! You keep doing these little drive by posts just as I think I have made a decision and totally rock my boat. :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Good choice.However if you refrerring to the receiver's analog 6ch input bass managment,you might wanna know that,it converts incoming analog signals to digital,and then applies the bass managment feature.This may or may not be an issue for you,but I though you might want this to know.Good luck with your purchase what ever you decide.

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure I would be able to hear the difference in the A-D-A conversion in my system. Also, the relative loss of information is a lot less than would be lost by a faulty bass management system in the DVD player. I've been reading that the bass management system isn't the best with a high crossover point. It'll pprobably sound better - relatively speaking - even after a A-D-A conversion in the receiver when the receiver applies its bass management.

I should be ordering this tonight. Next step - another thread asking about what cables I need and how exactly I hook up these bad boys!

Thanks

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
OK guys - I did it. Just placed an order with HK online for the AVR 525. This is a 1000 dollar receiver that I got for 450 with a 2 year warranty. I think I made a smart buy. I also picked up the Pioneer 563a from Onecall for 150.

What next? What do I have to do to get ready? Cables, SPL meter and Video Essentials is all I can think of. Anything I'm missing?

KS

Yogi

Screenwriter

I had it for 139 from Circuit city. Its the best dang value in universal players. It supposedly uses the same transport as the 1K Philips 1000 SACD player, Burr Brown 24/192K DACS and premium caps etc all for $150. Doesn't have the CUE. Kudos to Pioneer for that one.:emoji_thumbsup:

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I didn't know that about the transport. I agree in the value. I actually paid the same - 139 plus shipping. After the DIVX fiasco I have refused to shop at CC. :)

The only disadvatnage of the 563a is the weak bass management. The crossovers of 120 and 200 hhz are too high in my opinion. But I fixed it by ordering the HK 525 which has bass management features for the analog inputs. All in all I spent 600 bucks on what I consider to be a pretty darn good system. I think you'd have to spend double of what I spent to improve performance substantially.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks