What's new
World Wide Stereo

Denon 2900 concern (1 Viewer)

Have I completely missed the boat. I have recently purchased the dvd-2900 because of the video processor, universal capabilites and hefty build, among other things. I have also read reviews regarding this player. April/may 04 absolute sound gave ths player a small mention while reviewing the 2200. The comment was "...the dvd 2200 led me to think that the DVD-2900 I'd heard was damaged." I have also read scathing reviews about the 2900 from other mags and review sites. I love mine. And I can't figure out why these people are so hard on this model. Anyone have a bad experience with their player? Iam quite concerned and feel that I maybe missing high quality playback of all formats. Seems hard to believe though, since mine sounds and plays movies so well. Thanks for any input. Adam

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please take with a mountain of salt the comments on DVD-player "sound" in such magazines as The Absolute Sound and others with a vested interest in high-end audio dogma and orthodoxy. The Denon 2900 will serve you more than capably.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I was floored by the bad review of the '2900 in the January/February issue of TAS. The '2900 has gotten excellent reviews in other magazines and on the web. It seems to me that TAS had an axe to grind in their hi-rez article in the January/February issue. They liked the most expensive players and didn't give the others any credit.

For what it's worth, I've had the '2900 for nearly two months and think it's great.

As was said here already, don't worry about what others say. If you are happy with the '2900, move on. :)

Gary Sedlack

Agent
Double the grain of salt!

I love mine. Video is outstanding and the sound is excepitional.

Don't forget reviewer's live in the world of "my power cord is bigger than your power cord";) As John said if YOU like it is all that matters.
Gary

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
I have the DVD-2200 which I really enjoy. I also have checked out the DVD-2900. The only reason I did not pick it up was due to budget constraints. I was quite impressed with the DVD-2900 audio section which was better [though not dramatically] than the DVD-2200. Video comparison did not show a difference. It's main advantages are the better DACs along with better build which reduces the vibrations and noise. It does not matter what the review rags say but what counts is that owners quite happy with it. Denon has always put out quality gear whereupon the two models I've discussed are no exemption.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Adam,

ditto to what Keith and Jack said. I am also a very happy 2900 owner. I too started a thread when I saw the awful TAS 2900 review back in December. Jack then also told me about TAS and their elite factor. I wonder why so many people treat their reviews as gospel and ignore the other glowing reviews from elsewhere? What Hi-fi, Secrets, Sound and Vision, Audioholics.com audio revolution.com to name but a few, all loved the 2900. The 2900 plays all formats very good, but not at reference levels (though the video quality is very close) for $1k - nor even does the bigger 5900 for that matter. You would have to spend much more $$$ for this, and would likely need separate Dvd audio/Sacd components at that or something like the Linn Universal which is TEN times the price of the 2900. In its price bracket, the 2900 is king imho.

Reg

Guys, thanks so much. I have got a pretty good set of ears. I can discern minor nuances and I thinks the DVD-2900 kicks ass. Now I have not heard the $10k plus players, and im sure theres a difference but 9k's worth? I dont think so. Anyhoo, TAS seemed to enjoy the 2200, so I was just a little concerned. I will look to the Forum People first. Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks