What's new

Death and Birth Statistics (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi Gang!

Kind of a morbid question, but can anyone tell me within a reasonable margin of error, on average, how many people die around the world every day?
Likewise, how many are born?

It is just a stat I have always been interested in and have never found a good answer for. I trust the collective minds of this mighty forum to come to my aid!

Thanks!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
From the link:
Yeah, be sure to think about world hunger before ya get boffin' tonight.

--
H

KyleK

Second Unit
I always just assumed that Blue Oyster Cult had it right: "Forty thousand men and women everyday/Like Romeo and Juliet"

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Just to set some of these statistics in order:

(1) For many industrialised countries, the population is diminishing in size and will continue to do so. I don't know if anyone can pin down the figures on this, but supposedly if Italy continues at its current birth rate decline, the country will be depopulated in another century.

(2) Just in case you thought global warming was enough to worry about, in industrialised countries we are facing a major crisis with the greying population. As the birth rate dminishes and fewer babies are born, so the proportion of younger adults in work (and thus supporting older adults through their health care - a particular worry in europe with a more advanced welfare structure) is dminishing whilst the number of dependent older adults is increasing (some jackass decided to stop people smoking and dying young).

(3) On a worldwide scale, the birth rate is misleadingly high. Remember that on a *global* scale, half of all children won't live into their teens. :frowning:

(4) Africa and other parts of the developing world hit hard by AIDS are likely to get severely depopulated over the next few years, so current prognostications about population increases could be wildly wrong.

(5) Although the size of the world population is increasing, the *rate* of increase is falling and is expected to continue to fall.

So there is an argument that in some countries, far from wanting fewer births, we want more.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
(1) I think Germany is the worst in that regard.

(5) That's new. Global population growth is typically presented as geometric/exponential.

--
H

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Forty thousand men and women everyday

I always wondered what that lyric meant, but it's obviously way off to be the number of people who die. Maybe it's just meant to sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks