What's new

Dawn of the Dead (2004) HD DVD still censored!!! (1 Viewer)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

i don't care for the boobies. they aren't that pretty. it's just a matter of principles. why should i buy a censored version of a movie that is available uncensored in the rest of world?

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I read every post in this thread and then realized that this was for the 2004 film, heh. I feel dumb. I missed the 2004 in the title.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I own the SD, and have this one in my Netflix queue, boobs or no boobs. I'd just giggle and point, anyway.

Chris Shields

Auditioning

Unrated doesn't mean the movie is uncensored. It just means it hasn't been sumbitted to the MPAA for a rating. You could actually cut all the gore/nudity/language out of the movie and still call it "unrated".

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
While everyone is screaming "Damn you, Censors!", it may simply be a screw up in the cut. Maybe, they used the R-rated cut for the pre-credits sequence by mistake. It's not the first time a movie was assembled by someone who would say "Me make DVD, Me good" before receiving a cookie or a reward of fire.
I don't remember any real differences in the pre-credits sequence, but then again I'm used to the R1 dvd and only saw it in the theater once. Can anyone confirm this.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I'll keep my pre-order, but agree it's a silly thing to censor. And it does have a purpose besides - or maybe because of - titillation (sorry).
Edit: I don't recall if it was censored in the theater. If so, was it not censored theatrically outside the US?

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I pre-ordered it.

And I don't care.

Seems like nit-picking. And even if your reasons are valid, it's valid AND nit picking.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Same here. I have it on pre-order. Now is this a case of studio censorship (not likely for a breif sequence of naked breasts, or did the Director decide to remove them. If it is the later, it isn't censorship.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

The shot was completely removed from the theatrical R-rated cut.

On the "unrated" region 1 DVD, the shot is re-instated, but a big blotch of digital blood has been added to the windshield of the car so the actual nudity is obscured (think of the digital figures that were added to the R-rated EYES WIDE SHUT and you'll get an idea).

In all overseas versions of the "unrated director's cut", the shot DOES NOT have the added big blotch of blood, so you see the brief nudity unobscured.

Since the shot is so innocuous, my only guess is that somebody (maybe the actress herself since Zack says in the commentary that she was a friend of his) requested for personal reasons that the nudity be obscured, and the filmmakers acquiesced. I honestly doubt it has anything to do with "vile censorship" or anything like that since the shot is really quite mild, akin to the naked zombie seen in Romero's original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD all the way back in 1968.

Vincent

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
Wanna know something bad?

I haven't seen it yet.

And I bought it...........uh oh....right I know.

Actually, Dead Rising on Xbox 360 put me in a super Zombie mood for an extended period of time.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit

Got ya. Thanks for the clarification. I've always had the Japanese DVD with the DTS track, so I never realized. It is unrated and has the breast shot in question. Missing it for the HD-DVD wouldn't bother me much.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
less boobs. big deal. At least the guns haven't been replaced with walkie talkies. Now that would be funny.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew

Yeah right.

I can see the whole plot centered around how zombies heads burst if certain radio frequencies are sent into their brain.

The ultimate hand weapon solution, the walkie-talkie.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

Not the point at all.

If you don't want to show the breasts, cut the scene out. I have zero problem with that.

What I have a huge problem is when the studio or film maker puts their hands over my eyes during a scene.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew

Nobody here knows for sure WHY it was blocked off.

It's not your film whether you like it or not. I understand the argument, but being it's not YOUR FILM, you are indeed at the mercy of the whole distro line.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

We can argue about this all day (which I´m sure will happen...), but the fact remains: R1 (Unrated) DVD and US (Unrated) HD DVD-versions are the ONLY ones at the moment with the "blood on a car window"-shot. Sure, it´s a "minor thing" and sure, I can live without these boobs, but it´s a matter of principle. We´ll see, though, perhaps this will be the only HD DVD-version (in that case I´ll buy it).

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
There could be the possibility that the blood was supposed to be there in the first place by choice of the director and the non-us version print is messed up. Synder could see and go "Didn't we cover that up?"

....then someone shoots him with a walkie talkie because he knows too much.:)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I saw a private screening of this film at Universal in advance of its theatrical release. I recall the uncensored shot being in that print. Since nudity figures very little in the rest of the film, it seemed a bit odd at the time. I can't account for the "censorship" but it strikes me as a very minor issue.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew

I'm just wondering why people take it so personally, that's all.

The region thing is weird, but why would Universal and it's distributors put all the extra money into doing more than one hi def transfer from two different versions of the film? Especially with such a minor difference.

I would ASSUME that every version of the HD-DVD would be the same.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
So and so's girlfriend getting pissed about the boob shot and wanting coverage makes sense to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks