Dallas Season 11 Missing an Episode

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by John Sullmeyer, May 14, 2009.

1. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

Can anyone confirm if it is just my set or if the new Season 11 box set is missing an Episode or has some severe cuts?

Between Episode 25 (Never Say Never) and Episode 26 (Last of the Good Guys) it seems that the "previously on Dallas" segment shows scenes that were either cut from the prior Episode or missing an entire episode altogether.

Anyone know for sure?

2. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Supporting Actor

3. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

That's probably it. I noticed the quality on these sets seem to be going down as the sets come out. The latest one is compressed to 30 Episodes across 3 Double sided discs and no extras like the earlier sets. The PQ also seems to be suffering. I guess they figure if we've come this far, we'll bite regardless.

4. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

The PQ is probably explained because Dallas was being edited on videotape in its later seasons. Therefore, they only have video masters to work from, and not film masters/negatives.

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

They might still have film elements (assuming WB kept them when they bought Lorimar), but they may not be conformed to the EDLs, and if they are the credits would have to be redone. The opening sequences would have to be done from scratch. And if they wouldn't remaster the totally-on-film 1978-1986 episodes, why would they remaster the show in its final years?

6. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Supporting Actor

During what year did the practice of shooting a TV Show on film, then editing it onto videotape, come to an end in favor of shooting with High Definition cameras?

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't think there's one exact date for all shows but I think it was early in the 2000's that most shows switched from editing on tape.