What's new

Daktari on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Daktari was a favourite programme of mine. However sadly so far it has not made it out on DVD. But then none of the Ivan Tors series have although Flipper is rumoured soon. Anyone know please what is keeping Daktari back from being issued on DVD? THanks.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
With the exception of one (though soon to be two) episodes from the Thin Man Tv show, The pilot from Meet Me In St Louis Tv show and small excerpts from the MGM Parade, Warner has not released anything from MGM Television that it owns....................what a SHAME!!

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Art_AD said:
With the exception of one (though soon to be two) episodes from the Thin Man Tv show, The pilot from Meet Me In St Louis Tv show and small excerpts from the MGM Parade, Warner has not released anything from MGM Television that it owns....................what a SHAME!!
When did they release the Meet Me in St. Louis pilot? That has Shelley Fabares in it and I've been looking for that for years. How do I find that?

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
The Meet Me In St. Louis Pilot is an extra on the Special edition of Meet Me In St Louis on disc two (I think).

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I saw "Daktari" as a kid, I'd love it to come out on DVD, and while we're on a safari I'll throw in "Born Free" there too. :)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Please add a Question mark ... you know what it looks like? It looks like this:

???????

Since it's not a definate news item and not been announced yet, don't fool others into into the topic ...

At any rate, I used to watch this show as well and can't wait for its release.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'd really love to see this series again. Although, I admit my memories are a bit fuzzy. It's been such a long, long time since I've seen it. I was indeed quite young, and don't particularly recall much more than Marshall Thompson driving around in that truck painted like a zebra. Along with the cross-eyed lion, Clarence. And wasn't the chimp named Judy? Oh, yes, and the young gal in the show was rather cute. Really would be interesting to see this again. I hate how decades and decades seem to pass without some of these old shows at least making occasional appearances on cable or whatever.

Didn't Ivan Tors also have a hand in that "Cowboy in Africa" (1967-68) series? That pilot movie with Hugh O'Brien used to pop up on television all the time, but I never saw the tv-series, with Chuck Connors. I do have a Gold Key comic book of it, though. Little things like that would be great on dvd, as they'd be done-in-one's. No angst about future releases or whether or not the show will ever get completed on dvd!

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Over a year has passed and still no sign of this show on DVD. It was good getting Flipper season 1 but no news on whether or not we will get season 2 in 2008. Also it would be great to see Born Free with Diana Muldaur on DVD. Does anyone know if there are rights problems with these two shows. Many thanks.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Ian K McLachlan said:
Over a year has passed and still no sign of this show on DVD. It was good getting Flipper season 1 but no news on whether or not we will get season 2 in 2008. Also it would be great to see Born Free with Diana Muldaur on DVD. Does anyone know if there are rights problems with these two shows. Many thanks.
Yeah, the rights problems are they are owned by companies other than Paramount.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Though in no way related there is a family themed show set and shot in Africa showing now on Sunday nights - "Life is Wild," that makes me think of Daktari. Maybe, this could generate interest.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Warner Archives:
http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-WB-Site/default/Search-Show?q=1000262670&adid=1111WACNRcEml&src=EW1111C

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Just got the email. The movie Clarence the Cross-eyed Lion will be out as will season 1 of Daktari. Yippeee

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Other than an occasional release by Shout and Timeless media Warner Archive is getting all my DVD money now and proabably will for awhile with all the Hanna-Barbera still coming and TV shows they have in the pipeline including my new favorite western Cheyenne and other great westerns they own such as Bronco, Maverick, Lawman and Sugarfoot.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /t/241020/daktari-on-dvd#post_3870770
Other than an occasional release by Shout and Timeless media Warner Archive is getting all my DVD money now and proabably will for awhile with all the Hanna-Barbera still coming and TV shows they have in the pipeline including my new favorite western Cheyenne and other great westerns they own such as Bronco, Maverick, Lawman and Sugarfoot.
Unfortunately I'm on the opposite end of the equation. I'm somewhat interested in Daktari, but I still can't help but wince when I see the pricetag. I'll keep my eye on it and if I can get it on a huge discount, great. If not, so be it.

Gary "but I am very happy for fans of this series - now lets get Dr. Kildare S1 and Tarzan out, Warners!" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
Unfortunately I'm on the opposite end of the equation.  I'm somewhat interested in Daktari, but I still can't help but wince when I see the pricetag.  I'll keep my eye on it and if I can get it on a huge discount, great.  If not, so be it.
Gary "but I am very happy for fans of this series - now lets get Dr. Kildare S1 and Tarzan out, Warners!" O.
You can get with coupon code for $38.21 thats not bad and about par for the course for a complete season of a 60's show.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Not a title I'll be picking up in the short-term but it's always nice to see Warner mining the catalog for new releases!
I'm struck by how this adds one more title from the 1965-1966 season to DVD (for episodes from that season) and makes it the most represented year of any on DVD (at least 34 series from that year have their episodes for that year on DVD now).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /t/241020/daktari-on-dvd#post_3870804
You can get with coupon code for $38.21 thats not bad and about par for the course for a complete season of a 60's show.
I hear ya, Randy. And I'm not trying to nitpick, but the fact that Daktari Season One only has 18 episodes kind of skews the comparison for me. The bottom line, for me, is that this isn't a series I'm all that interested in. Had it been a standard retail release where, at some point, it would likely see a 50% off discount somewhere down the line I'd have kept an eye on it. But as it is the standard WBA pricing point will keep me from engaging in a "blind buy", which this set would be for me since I have no memory of ever seeing it.

Gary "but once more I'd like to emphasize that I am genuinely happy for those that do want this series on dvd" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Agree Gary, as I'm not a fan of the show either. Never really watched it when it aired as there were always other shows at the same time of greater interest. As for the single season set, this was a January replacement show so its only a half season of episodes.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
One thing that should be more clear is how Warner likes to tie these releases to the simultaneous release of some movie titles as well that are related. Keeping that in mind, it wouldn't surprise me if say, Tarzan S1 were released simultaneous with the 1959 "Tarzan The Ape Man" movie which is the last of the Tarzan films Warner hasn't released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks