What's new

Daddy Daycare? Another Murphy misfire? (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
According to www.boxofficemojo.com

Weekend projections (based on Fridays estimates) are as such.....

1) X2: X-Men United $39,500,000 -53.8% 3,748 +7
$10,538 $147,100,000 $110 / $40 2

2) Daddy Day Care $26,000,000 - 3,370 - $7,715
$26,000,000 - / - 1

Look's like as long as Murphy always picks a solid family aimed script for his summer movies (ala the Dr. Dolittle and Nutty Professor movies), he will still be a draw, despite his fall, winter, and spring duds (Pluto Nash, I Spy, etc).

I say good for him. Even if you hate this flick, your kids will love it, and unlike the aformenioned
Nutty Professor flicks, there are no four letter, anatomical, or sexual terms you will have to explain to them afterwards (I still feel for the moms or dads who had to try and explain away Grandma Klump's cunnilingus diatribe in Nutty Professor).

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
who wants to bet this is #2 next week , with X2 dropping to 3?
That would be very unlikely. Based on its projected take of $29M this weekend, it would have to depreciate no more than 12% next weekend to beat X2.

At the least, Down With Love has a better chance of coming in at the #3 spot if it's reviewed well.

~Edwin

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
didn't realize DWL was coming out next week.
in that case i retract my bet :)
i'm still predicting a distant third next week for X2 (now behind MR, and DWL)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yup, after seeing this film, I also know the kids will eat this movie up, and it's very good counter programming (same with Down With Love) to go against the action flicks (X2 and Matrix Reloaded) to kick off the summer. We could very well see one of the largest box office weekend come next weekend.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Comparing Murphy to Fred MacMurray makes me laugh. Murphy can only dream of having a filmography the likes of MacMurrays. Put down Murphy all you want, but don't lump Fred MacMurray in with him. Fred MacMurray didn't just make family films, and the many family films he did make are eminently more watchable than anything that Murphy has done.

It also amuses me when I read how Murphy used to use enormous amounts of foul language and poor behaviour in his early years. People then go on to say that he should get back to doing more "adult" work. :laugh: It is hilarious to read that people actually think that being foul-mouthed and acting stupid is adult content. I saw sections of RAW and DELIRIOUS and they were anything but adult; they were just the lowest common denominator of adolescent toilet humour. The torrent of foul language Murphy used in those films was so overwhelming that anything funny was drowned in a sea of sewage. After ten minutes of listening to fuck,fuck, fucker,etc., etc., I finally shut it off. What should have been funny became disgusting. Murphy doesn't want that stuff re-released because he's ashamed of it. He doesn't want his children to see just how stupid and immature he really was back then.

I have watched the trailers for this new movie and it certainly didn't do much for me. I didn't laugh once at anything I saw in the trailer. It doesn't even come across as a family film. Judging from the trailer, Daddy Daycare is strictly a kiddie flick through and through. Fred MacMurray would roll over in his grave if he knew that he was being compared to the likes of Eddie Murphy.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

I'd agree that a lot of Raw is overblown and unnecessarily harsh, but I think much of Delirious stands as some of the best standup of the 'modern day' comedian.

If a whole lot of profanity bugs you, then I can see why Murphy's early material would strike you as less than entertaining but there's a whole lot of funny stuff in there in between all the F-bombs.

And I highly doubt that those concerts are unavailable on DVD because of Murphy's newfound and fiscally-induced morality. It's not like the guy became a saint. Harlem Nights is on DVD, and that's as childish and misogynistic as you'll ever see Murphy behaving.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Scott,

I read somewhere, here in the forum I believe, that that is precisly the reason Delerious isn't, or going to be available.

If memory serves, Eddie brought the rights to it from Paramount...and then shelved it...forever it seems.

Try a search on 'Delerious', i'm sure I read that here some time ago.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I was sure that I watched part of Delirious, but after reading your post I'm beginning to think that I didn't. So I will retract my observation on that film, until I have a chance to look at it again. I did see part of Raw.

I'm not a prude when it comes to profanity, and I would be the first to admit that it can be funny when used in a sparing manner. RAW was just disgusting. As far as I'm concerned the best live film the guy did was Beverly Hills Cop. He started sliding rapidly down hill after that. My main beef is that somebody short shrifted Fred MacMurray by referring to Murphy as "the Fred MacMurray of our time". All I can say is.....not bloody likely.

Edit: Actually I should correct my statement about Beverly Hills Cop. BHC was his second best film. Trading Places was the best film he ever did; however, it didn't hurt that Dan Akroyd and Don Ameche(IIRC) co-starred. The supporting cast in Trading Places was a strong one, which definitely helped the film.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

I will definitely search that out. Thanks, John. But even if it IS a fact (which it certainly could be), all it would take is another bad string of bombs for Murphy to reconsider releasing those surefire sales on DVD.

Edwin,

I read your response via email and was about to chime in on Trading Places...but you beat me to it! ;)

Sorry if I came off as presumptuous. I certainly wasn't trying to imply that you're a prude or horrified by profanity. If you find Murphy's standup 'nasty for nasty's sake' that's certainly a valid opinion. Me? I giggle hysterically anytime I see bits of the "Delirious" concert. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Whoops. Sometimes it is pretty hard to tell how a person is going to interpret a statement, because it is hard to get inflection in a written sentence. I posted the "I'm no prude...blah blah" as a general statement. I never thought that you might interpret it as me jumping on you. No such intention was present.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You know, and I hate to admit this, but I have never seen Trading Places uncut. I've always seen it on TBS or TNT, they play it constantly, like every weekend pretty much! :)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Yeah, John, you need to watch TRADING PLACES without
edits. It's alot of fun (except the ending which I
thought sucked). It's available on DVD now.

My 2 cents on Murphy- PG and PG13 movies take away
his talents of adlibs and lines off the top of his
head. I've heard comments made on audio tracks about
how brilliant he is at coming up with stuff on the spot.
I agree with another post that said he should look into
harder hitting movies that allow him to use his comedy
talents, like in the past. He is doing harmless (and
some lousy) movies these days. I thought I-SPY was
watchable because he was trying in that film. In PLUTO
NASH he just took a paycheck and didn't try to elevate
the shitty material. :thumbsdown:

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
When was the last time did any of the Saturday Night Live alumni have a big hit? It's been a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks