What's new

Criterion Press Release: Parasite (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
RNidF6S3Trf2Tsx8O2eriidn46V4Uo_large.jpg

A zeitgeist-defining sensation that distilled a global reckoning over class inequality into a tour de force of pop-cinema subversion, Bong Joon Ho’s genre-scrambling black-comic thriller confirms his status as one of the world’s foremost filmmakers. Two families in Seoul—one barely scraping by in a dank semibasement in a low-lying neighborhood, the other living in luxury in a modern architectural marvel overlooking the city—find themselves on a collision course that will lay bare the dark contradictions of capitalism with shocking ferocity. A bravura showcase for its director’s meticulously constructed set pieces, bolstered by a brilliant ensemble cast and stunning production design, Parasite cemented the New Korean Cinema as a full-fledged international force when it swept almost every major prize from Cannes to the Academy Awards, where it made history as the first non-English-language film to win the Oscar for best picture.
FILM INFO
  • Bong Joon Ho
  • South Korea
  • 131 minutes
  • Color
  • 2.39:1
  • Korean
  • Spine #1054
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New 4K digital master, approved by director Bong Joon Ho and director of photography Hong Kyung Pyo, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New audio commentary featuring Bong and critic Tony Rayns
  • Black-and-white version of the film with a new introduction by Bong, and Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between Bong and critic Darcy Paquet
  • New interviews with Hong, production designer Lee Ha Jun, and editor Yang Jinmo
  • New program about the New Korean Cinema movement featuring Bong and filmmaker Park Chan Wook (Oldboy)
  • Cannes Film Festival press conference from 2019 featuring Bong and members of the cast
  • Master class featuring Bong from the 2019 Lumière Festival in Lyon, France
  • Storyboard comparison
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Inkoo Kang
New design by Nessim Higson, based on the original theatrical poster by Kim Sang-man

October 27, 2020

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
After the first blu-ray, then the 4K UHD, now this - all in one year. This is the second chance this year Criterion had to release a 4K UHD, after The Elephant Man. But I'll get it for the commentary. It is extremely rare for Criterion to do feature-length commentaries these days and I would welcome one on this film.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
For anyone who plans to visit South Korea, I would recommend that you book your trip for the Fall. PIFF; aka The Pusan International Film Festival; is your ticket to the Asian equivalent of The Sundance Film Festival and, dare I say it, Cannes.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wish Criterion had just been allowed to do the first release of this, rather than Universal coming out with a relatively barebones disc in February. I wouldn't have bought that one if this had been announced first.

But I'll probably still get it.

Also, am I the only one who would have preferred them just using the original poster artwork for the cover in full rather than this thing with the dots they've got going on? I know the Universal release did that too, but I feel like, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I'm thrilled they're including the B&W version as well. I saw it during its token theatrical run and it's so much better that way.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, the addition of new commentary tracks will make a difference regarding which of Criterion's releases I will purchase going forward. Example: how would it kill them to add a historian commentary to THE GUNFIGHTER? I already have this on Blu (albeit, not from a 4k scan), and would plan on purchasing the upcoming, but Criterion has grown incredibly lazy about adding such tracks, which for many years were pretty standard. on their Blu's, as they had been on their laser discs. Hell, they virtually invented the audio commentary!! So, as for THE GUNFIGHTER, no sale.

The argument against their doing it, from their lips, is that they will continue to produce them for releases which they consider worthy. Their argument against doing it afaic is that they want to cut expenses. I get that. But, hell, if Kino can add commentaries (and mostly good ones, too) on about 90% of their releases that have list prices of about a third less than Criterion's, then this company can also.

I am buying fewer Blu-rays lately, and the addition of a commentary track is fast becoming a yes-or-no selling point for me.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I would be very surprised if it does. I do not think an English dub exists.

I don't like reading subtitles, I only use them for either TV shows if the DVD has that option or to some films that have very fast paced dialogue or have have dialogue that you can't understand, like made up words or very thick accents.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the addition of new commentary tracks will make a difference regarding which of Criterion's releases I will purchase going forward.
I think you'll be buying almost no Criterion discs then because it seems like they only do them now with the actual filmmakers AND when they want to record one. I'm sure there's a few other examples but this and Wes Anderson & company on The Grand Budapest Hotel is the only new track I can remember from Criterion in years. They've seemed to transition from filmmaker commentaries to interviews with filmmakers.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't like reading subtitles

That is, of course, your choice. But it is also the filmmaker's choice to do a dub or not, and in this case Bong Joon Ho appears to want it seen in Korean. You can watch or not watch, but if you don't you'll be missing a hell of a movie.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
That is, of course, your choice. But it is also the filmmaker's choice to do a dub or not, and in this case Bong Joon Ho appears to want it seen in Korean.

I understand that, but foreign directors should take in consideration that majority watching their films don't speak the language they made it in. A lot of foreign films tend to speak too fast to keep up with the subtitles.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Worldwide audiences see American films with subtitles all the time. I don't see why it's more difficult for us to watch films that are not in our native language than for them to do so.

The first few times I ever tried to watch a subtitled movie, it was hard. But you just train yourself to do it. I don't really think about it now.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Worldwide audiences see American films with subtitles all the time. I don't see why it's more difficult for us to watch films that are not in our native language than for them to do so.

The first few times I ever tried to watch a subtitled movie, it was hard. But you just train yourself to do it. I don't really think about it now.
I agree Jake. You get used to it.
English dubs will included unless they’re not will included. Oh the irony.;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A good example is Grave Of The Fireflies. The voice acting is so good In the original Japanese that when I tried to watch the English dub, it was so distracting I switched back. The film is an emotional powerhouse and the performances by the actors in their original language is tremendous, lost in the dub.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks