What's new

Cox HDTV in Fairfax VA (1 Viewer)

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Why no WUSA/CBS?

Cox Communications Launches HDTV in Fairfax County
Enhanced Picture Quality, Local Programming Among the
Many Benefits of Cox HDTV

HERNDON, VA. (September 20, 2002) - Cox Communications Northern Virginia announced today the launch of High Definition Television (HDTV) to customers in upgraded areas of Fairfax County starting November 1. Cox HDTV provides a picture that is six times sharper with twice the color resolution than that of traditional analog television service.

Northern Virginia is the third Cox market in the country where high definition programming will be available to customers. Cox is finalizing plans for the deployment of HDTV service in other markets later this year.
"The addition of Cox HDTV to our bundled product offering reinforces Cox as a full service technology provider and truly sets us apart from the competition," said Gary McCollum, vice president and general manager of Cox Northern Virginia. "We believe this highly anticipated service will be extremely popular with Cox customers wanting the latest in advanced entertainment technology."
In addition to enhanced picture quality and audio, Cox HDTV offers customers several advantages over alternative sources of HDTV programming. While major direct broadcast satellite companies currently offer some HDTV programming, they do not offer local channels in HDTV. Cox includes local programming at no additional charge.

Cox has also worked to make access to HDTV as affordable as possible. Whereas satellite customers must purchase costly additional equipment in order to receive HDTV programming, Cox customers can conveniently lease their HDTV set top box from Cox at a cost of $9.99 a month, plus a nominal installation fee.

"Customers wanting high definition local programming and the convenience of renting their equipment will find Cox HDTV a practical and affordable solution," said Marcie Anderson, vice president of new business development for Cox Northern Virginia. "Cox HDTV will deliver a true home theatre experience using the latest state-of-the-art technology not previously available to our customers."
Cox's HDTV programming lineup will initially feature five new channels of high definition programming. Upon launch, Cox's HDTV lineup will include local broadcasters ABC (WJLA Channel 7) and NBC (WRC Channel 4). In addition, HBO and Showtime will also be available in high definition format for those subscribing to these premium channels.

Finally, Discovery High Definition Theater will be available to Cox HDTV customers as well. Customers wishing to purchase this channel must also subscribe to Cox Digital Cable and pay an additional $6.99 a month for Discovery. Other high definition channels will be added to the lineup as they become available.

Cox plans to launch HDTV with popular local retail partners to make the service conveniently available to customers across Fairfax County.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's nice, but could they first get digital cable out here in Burke first? My old place in Annandale was upgraded a year ago, and they are still dragging their asses.

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
No, HBO for $1 a month for me, until they upgrade or the end of the year. Most likely it will be the latter. Doesn't matter, since I don't watch that much HBO anyways.

Jason

Real Name
John Doroshenk
Have you guys dealt with Cox before? No way this will happen till 2006 at the earliest. This is the crappiest company I've ever dealt with in my life. I bet when they get this installed that it'll have about 20% reliability rate. Who lays their cable? My basic analog cable doesn't even work well in the three places I've lived. Their cable modem is always dropping in and out of service, they are a joke and wish someone else could provide cable. Thank god for OTA for HDTV cause I doubt I'll get HD Cable before Blue Ray DVD.

derek

Second Unit
I have to agree with John. COX has had some big issues with lagging on promised deliveries and both the county and customers have been quite fed up over the past few years. While I applaud COX for saying they are making HDTV available, currently IMHO I'd make plans with a satellite service if you want HDTV.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I bet when they get this installed that it'll have about 20% reliability rate.
If their digital cable is any indication, it'll be just fine. My picture and sound are better than my old DSS in Annandale. Reliability, once they fine tuned it, is excellent. Never tried Road Runner, though.

Not to come off as a Cox apologist but they are huge improvement over Media General. There was a company that didn't care.

Kevin*R

Agent
Something is missing from that VA/Cox story as the one I read had additional monthly costs for the HDTV service. IIRC, ~$7/mo if you already have digital cable and ~$10/mo if you don't. Neglecting both digital cable and premium channel costs, that adds $17/mo to $20/mo to the monthly cost.

I bring this up because the folks in Phoenix were spitting mad that they had to buy the $500 set top box in lieu of the above $17/mo to $20/mo. Sounds like the Cox/VA deal may not be much better than Cox/Phx!

In the end though what's a few bucks when you can finally say you have Cox HDTV and you know that future HDTV channels will be added!!!

Real Name
John Doroshenk
Roberto, you are very lucky then. I have been dealing with them and their upgrade and have had nothing but troubles. Not to mention no digital cable. Media General never gave me any troubles then again, we never had to do any upgrades with them. I think its funny that they say no price upgrades for 2003 like we should be happy. If they upped the prices for their crappy service and no extra beneifit I'd have to kill them. The only reason I don't have Direct TV or Dish network is cable modem. It'd be way to expensive to do cable modem and dish.

JohnS I am very jealous. Cable looks like ass here. One day though I'll get HD Cable.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
John, be patient. I live in the Kingstowne area and we got upgraded back in Feb. Prior to that we would go days without any service and the picture quality ranged from good to piss poor. However since I upgraded to the digital service I couldn't be more pleased. Haven't had a single problem with outtages and the picture quality is good, even excellent on the HBO channels.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks