What's new

Copying photos from web sources, JPG (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
How the hell do I copy or cut and paste a photo from a jpg source on the web to HTF?
I have been trying to copy a nice photo of Sarah Silverman to post in the polls section but I can't make it work, anyone have advice or instructions?
Thanks for any help.
------------------
-Kevin M.
I can brave the nastiest weather, even when it's eighty below.
My Pa was an Elephant, but that's irrelevant,
My Ma was an Eskimo."
- Cannibal the Musical.
[Edited last by Kevin M on November 12, 2001 at 06:29 AM]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You can either keep a copy of the file on your own webspace and link to that, or link directly to the image you want.
You need to use the IMG tag, like this example:
[ img ]http://www.website.com/imagefile.jpg[ /img ]
(obviously without the spaces inside the brackets)
The preferred method is to link to your own webspace.
Make sure the image image is less than 40kb and that the dimensions don't force the HTF page to go 'wide'. 40kb is nothing on a cable or ADSL connection, but on a 56k dial up it turns the page into a long wait.
You also have to consider whether there are any legal or copyright infringments by posting the image.
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on November 12, 2001 at 06:35 AM]

TheoGB

Screenwriter
If you are using one from another website right-click on the image and choose properties. This will give the web address and you can copy this to paste in the image tag.
Interesting 40kb point there, Rob, as the Star Wars threads seem to have a lot of big images in them. Or maybe it's just me.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The amount of images in the big SW thread was way overboard. I've just gone through and removed all of them, replacing them with the URLs. They're lovely images, but until everyone gets cable or ADSL we have to set limits.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If you link directly to a picture on another site, make sure they really like that.
Some web-site owners (or their web providers) wouldn't like the communication traffic stemming from frequently loading a picture when our busy forum opens posts over and over again.
Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mark,
Some Web Plans have a limit to the traffic to the server (and charge the web site owner above a certain amount/month). So they rather have you copy the picture (or .midi file) to your own site and link to there, than have links to their own server from a very busy site.
Cees

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm not sure why my thank you post was removed completely, sorry if linking one pic was against forum policy or anything but why didn't you just remove the offending picture (if that is what caused you to remove my post) and leave my thank you?
Anyway, is there a way to paste a scan (one that I did at home from a magazine) to these pages? I don't have a site to upload it to & link from and I don't really want to start one so is there a way to paste a pic to a thread without a link?
------------------
-Kevin M.
My Ma was an Eskimo."
- Cannibal the Musical.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kevin:
What was the picture in question? How do you know it was deleted? Could it have just not been posted?
As Rob described above you can link to the picture and have it displayed in the thread but your best bet is just to put the link back to the picture.
Say you have a picture on another site that you want to share with others just use:
[ url=http://www.yourplace.com ]My picture to show[ /url ]
(no spaces in the brakets)
and this will show up as
My Picture to Show
for members to link to.
Parker

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I just assumed it was deleted because I checked it twice after posting it & it was there but after I came back about ten hours later it was gone.
Just an assumption on my part that it was deleted & we all know where those assumptions lead...trouble.
It was just a thank you for all the guys who helped & I posted the pic I was trying to post as an example or, if you will, a "See! I do'd it! I do'd it good!" sort of thing.
Thanks again guys.
------------------
-Kevin M.
My Ma was an Eskimo."
- Cannibal the Musical.
[Edited last by Kevin M on November 13, 2001 at 03:20 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks