What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Computer 5.1 setup - receiver or not? and, which speakers? (1 Viewer)

The111

Agent
Real Name
Matt Hoover
Currently I have an old soundcard in my machine running through an old 2-channel Pioneer stereo, with some old Pioneer tower speakers. It sounds pretty decent, but the receiver is dying I think because one channel cuts out a lot. And I want to move up to a 5.1 system for gaming, but still retain good 2-channel performance for music.

My first move will be to get a new soundcard, probably one of those Auzentech Xplosions.

After that, my first decision is do I get a powered speaker kit so I don't need a receiver? Or do I get a newer receiver with 5/6/7 channels and use that to drive "real speakers" as I've always done in the past? Honestly, I like having a receiver, and imagine that maybe it sounds better that way... but finding space on my computer desk for a receiver has always been a hassle and it would be so convenient (space-wise) to not have one. Is it possible to get good sound going straight from the sound card to powered speakers?

Next task, speaker selection. I read awesome things on the computer sites about the Logitech Z-5500, but honestly I bought another Logitech set once (not quite as high on their product lineup) and listening to mp3's on it sounded like crap compared to my old Pioneer 2-channel setup, and I returned the Logitech set to Best Buy immediately. Should I be looking outside of "computer speaker kits"? Does this decision depend on whether or not I'm using a receiver? I like having a physical volume knob, again whether or not I'm using a receiver.

I guess I'd prefer not to spend more than $500 (not including the sound card) on this whole thing. The main reason for upgrading to 5.1 is for the FPS games I play. But I still want to have good sound when listening to music (mp3's), at least as good if not better than my old Pioneer 2-channel setup.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Matt,

Let's try the Computer forum. Hopefully more knowledge of soundcards and attached speakers here....

:)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
You've got the first part right: a soundcard with Dolby Digital Live and/or DTS Connect, either of which will do real-time encoding of multichannel audio into DD or DTS. What you want to do is send this digital bitstream to a decoder/preamp with a volume knob. You don't want an analog connection directly between speakers and the soundcard -- the DACs on the soundcard are dubious, and the PC is electrically noisy.

Whether you use a "real" receiver/amp like a Pioneer, or one specifically designed for computers/games like the Logitech (the ones that accept DD or DTS), is about those size/space vs. quality. Most computer speakers use small satellites and a sub, and their amps are probably not as good. What can you expect at that cost? The Z-5500 sounds OK to me, but I specifically don't try to compare them to "real" speakers because I'm pretty sure I would be disappointed.

From your post, I would guess you would be happier with real speakers with a real amp. Buy a new receiver and some new satellites for surround.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I agree. That would give you a 4.1 setup. If you wanted a center to make it a 5.1 setup (and if you have the room), I would suggest moving your towers to the back for to act as surrounds and buy matching speakers for the fronts.

If you're going to stick with $500, I would suggest getting just a receiver and subwoofer, and saving up for the speakers. In the long run, it will be worth it.

The111

Agent
Real Name
Matt Hoover

By "the Logitech one" are you referring to the powered amp built into the sub in the Logitech system?

What are some other examples of "not real" receiver/amps?

I don't mind having a real receiver but it's so hard to find somewhere on my computer desk to put it, having two widescreen monitors. Guess I'll have to get creative.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Regarding "real", I'm talking about both the preamp/processor and amp. In a classic home theater receiver, they're both in the same box. With the Logitech Z-5500, they're separate: the part with the volume knob accepts a digital (optical or coax) DD or DTS connection, and the amp is built into the sub. Creative used to make some comparable systems, but right now I can't make sense of their product line. It doesn't seem like there are as many choices in this "not real" area as there were maybe a few years ago. But like I said, you're probably better off going with "real".

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

I've heard the Logitech Z-5500's in person at a friends house, and at least to me they sound relatively decent for the price. The only real complaint I have about them is that they seem to lack a little bit in the lower mid-range, to higher low-end frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks