What's new

Complete Abott and Costello Set Out Of Print Already??? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know what the deal is or what happened here??

I picked it up on eBay and the box arrived slightly banged up. To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the package and actually prefered the slim digipaks from the earlier "Best Of" releases that everyone complained about due to the DVD-18s. Cover art was better and they took up less space. I don't see what's so special about this set and considering I already own all of the discs, save for one new-to-dvd film, I'm considering sending it back and saving my money.

But I'm curious why the package went out of print only a couple of months after it was released?? It's not longer available on any of the online retail sites like Amazon, DVD Planet, Deep Discount, Video Universe, etc.

Why did this get pulled so quick; was it a limited production?

Anyways, after having finally received it, I think I'll stick with my old sets nonetheless. Never had any compatability problems despite the DVD-18s....

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Ummm....it's selling like gangbusters during Deep Discount's 25% off sale as we speak and there's still a listing on Amazon to buy new.
Edited by mdnitoil - 7/19/2009 at 02:54 am GMT
Edited by mdnitoil - 7/19/2009 at 02:58 am GMT

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
[COLOR= #0000ff]Indeed, I bought one as soon as the sale began and it's already on the way.

Mike S.
[/COLOR]

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Strange... none of these sites were listing when I resorted to eBay.

I saw many offered for much higher than the MSRP's and determined based on all of the above that they were OOP.

Guess it was just an unlucky week and stock ran out?? That's a pretty odd coincidence.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
IMO, it's a mistake to stick with the DVD-18s over the new package. I myself never had a problem with the old discs either, but the freaky thing with DVD-18s is that you just never know if they'll screw up one day, or in some future DVD player you own. This happened to some people I know who complained that their original releases of THE MUNSTERS used to play fine but have begun freezing up on them (DVD-18s). So when you ask "what's so special about the new set", I'd say that the more reliable DVD-9 format in itself should be special enough.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Joe,

I just hate the idea of spending $100 for everything I already have (same transfers and all!)

Add to that the fact that I don't even think the packaging is any improvement (others might disagree) and it seems like a total rip-off. But it might be worth the upgrade to the more reliable media. It's too bad Universal was so stubborn and couldn't get this right the first time...

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Actually many of the films have updated transfers and they look terrific. Except of reissue cards on ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, the quality in both sound and picture is very much improved. There are a few new commentary tracks and I am very happy. I always had trouble with those flippers.

Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti

Thanks Joe,

I just hate the idea of spending $100 for everything I already have (same transfers and all!)

Add to that the fact that I don't even think the packaging is any improvement (others might disagree) and it seems like a total rip-off. But it might be worth the upgrade to the more reliable media. It's too bad Universal was so stubborn and couldn't get this right the first time...

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Personally I'm extremely pleased with the set, but then I only paid about $65 for it and was able to unload my Best Of's for about $15 a pop. Turns out the upgrade only cost me about 5 bucks, so that was a no-brainer.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I have the original Best of dvd sets and have never had a problem, but have had my eye on this set and it is one of top ones to order on the Deep Discount sale - which by the way people sometimes complain about pricies going up - this one went down from earlier in the week.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I got it through Amazon last week; cost was $62. It's still out there.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill

Have read in some posts and on Amazon about consumers being stuck with versions of "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" with the Realart logo cutting short the very funny "Invisible Man" ending! I've personally never run into that version and I've owned the 90's VHS version and currently, the double sided disc 4 volume set. Have only noticed the realart logo at the end of "Buck Privates" and on the re-released trailers! As I haven't seen the version that's on the 2008 collection, I can't speak for the difference in quality, but I have always been quite satisfied with the quality on both copies I've owned.

My issue is with the fact that the only way to get a good copy of "It Ain't Hay" is to purchase the entire set currently listed on Amazon.com for $94.99. I would willingly settle for purchasing a single disc set (in this case, disc 5 and 6), containing this title. Sadly, as much as I would love to complete my Abbott and Costello Universal collection (and I'm also not fond of the double sided format!), the sheer cost forces me to simply suck it up and make due with an inferior print from an independently released version. Perhaps Universal could be so kind as to offer a discount for those of us who can provide proof of purchase tabs for all 4 sets from the previous collection to provide some incentive. Just a thought!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I bought my set through Columbia House using my Fun Cash, so it hardly cost me anything. I am thoroughly happy with the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks