What's new

Comparison of original and re-releases (1 Viewer)

Nathan McMahan

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes I feel like I'm being punished for having jumped on the DVD bandwagon so early. So much of the content I picked up at the outset of our momentous journey have all been upgraded to the newer, better, badder, 2.0 versions. (Anyone remember the old days of the Reel.com coupons when the Bargain/Coupon forum rivaled the Software forum in traffic).
Total Recall, Bull Durham, Groundhog Day, The Fugitive, Twister, The Sixth Sense, The Terminator, American Werewolf in London, Tombstone, The Replacement Killers, Silent Running, Princess Bride, Dogma, Usual Suspects, Evil Dead, Mask of Zorro, Entrapment, Rambo, Memento, Starship Troopers and now the Star Trek series--just to name a few. While the vast majority have been a welcome improvement, are there any that are different in content or simply duds? Is there anyplace out there that gives a solid comparison of the various versions and updates and what is being upgraded on the horizon?
And what ever became of the special editions for Spy Kids and Office Space?
Thanks
N

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Good Post Nathan.
I often wonder myself about the "New And Improved" versions.
I also remember the early days of buying DVD's online where a bargain was 45-50% off new releases and if customer service screwed up your order, a free DVD was in order to correct the situation. Those wonderful $10 off coupons on top of the already deep discounts made for a real steal on pre-orders!
Anyway, I have the original release of Apocalypse Now and after reading elsewhere reviews on the new Director's Cut "Redux" version, the end result was that the original was better! Of course it could also be a matter of personal opinion much like academy award movies. Just because it won an Oscar doesn't mean I will like it!

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I still make people's jaws drop when I tell them how much I payed for the Criterion edition of Armageddon. 10 bucks thanks to Reel.com. May they rest in peace.:frowning:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
How about those $25 and even $50 off coupons at incedibledvd.com :)
I read the reviews at DVDfile and they often compare the new version to the previous release so I would go there to start.
My guess is the newer version will be vastly superior to the old ones becuase the technology is better. I cant wait to see the new discs of Blade Runner, Amadeus Dir Cut, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and Goodfellas.
Also cant wait to see the Pulp Fiction DVD due this summer.Even thought the previous was by no means a bad transfer(not anamorphic)Ill bet the new one will show how much better new DVDs are in terms of image and sound.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I still make people's jaws drop when I tell them how much I payed for the Criterion edition of Armageddon. 10 bucks thanks to Reel.com.
Johnathan,
I paid $.49 for Criterion Armageddon when I got
my introductory offer from Columbia House.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Peace....:D

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Link Removed certainly does comparisons with overall winners - a fine site too.
When I think of all the upgrades - Silent Running, Die Hard, Boogie Nights, Nosferatu (Murnau), Salo, Spartacus, the entire Kubrick collection - it makes me glad to realise that I do own the best version around, even if I had to sell off my old versions.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
When I think of all the upgrades - Silent Running, Die Hard, Boogie Nights, Nosferatu (Murnau), Salo, Spartacus, the entire Kubrick collection - it makes me glad to realise that I do own the best version around, even if I had to sell off my old versions.
What's better about the R2/BFI Salo, exactly? I don't have either, but I thought I read both discs are mediocre at best.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The R2 Salo has a better picture (the Criterion is taken from a very ropey old PAL transfer), even though it's hardly demo-material, it's noticeably brighter, sharper and more colourful.

Although the subtitles are forced on the BFI's disc, I find the translation superior and more suited to the baroque, outlandish, beyond-pretentious style of dialogue in the film.

Finally, it has a short 25-second sequence omitted from the Criterion disc.

The sound on the BFI is often crackly with a pop or two now and again, but has a more robust, rounded quality (especially the music at the start, which sounds unbearably limp on the Criterion disc).

Hope this is of some use (to somebody).

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Let's be fair. The Columbia Club price may have been $0.49 for the Criterion "Armageddon," but then there were two discs that had to be bought at full price. Average price for all six movies was $9.60 something.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Johnathan,
I paid $.49 for Criterion Armageddon when I got
my introductory offer from Columbia House.
Peace....
Actually, you cant really say you paid $.49 for that disc considering their high shipping costs at the time they offered that movie and the fact that you had to buy 2-3 full priced discs in order to get the 49 cent ones. So, if you figure out the average, you paid somewhere between $9 and $11 for that disc (depending on whether or not you used a promo code, and what the prices of your fulfillments were)! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks