What's new

Combining Video Files (1 Viewer)

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
I hope this is the right place for this. I'm trying to combine a few video files, but I'm having troubles. There are 6 files. I can combine the first 3 files. Then, due to issues, I try to do it in smaller bits. So, I combine the first 3 files, and can combine files 4 and 5. This works. When I try to add the last file, file 6, it just hangs at Converting...

I'm using an online site, aconvert.com Maybe my files are too big or something. I think all together, they're around 500mb...I think.

Is there any way to combine the files on my own computer without having to go through a free online place ? I've tried VLC, but the directions I followed wanted me to pick a spot to save the files...except that the spot they said to do that with didn't exist for me. I miss windows movie maker.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Is there any way to combine the files on my own computer without having to go through a free online place ? I've tried VLC, but the directions I followed wanted me to pick a spot to save the files...except that the spot they said to do that with didn't exist for me. I miss windows movie maker.
Use Windows Explorer to create the location or just select somewhere else. It really doesn't matter as long as you know where the file winds up.

If you're comfortable with CMD you can do it manually. Open "CMD" or Powershell and change to the location of the original files (or browse to them using Explorer, shift/right click an empty space in the folder's explorer window and select "Open Powershell window here" (if you don't have Powershell enabled then it'll say "CMD" instead of "Powershell").

Then use this command:

copy /b example1.ext + example2.ext example.ext

In that example you'd be combining the files "example1.ext" and "example2.ext" into a file called "example.ext". The /b switch tells the system the files are binary files so the format isn't changed. If your file names have spaces in them then you *must* put the file names in quotes. You can string more than 2 files together by adding the plus symbol between each. In that example, ext is just a placeholder for the actual extension on your files so if they're mp4 then that's going to be the extension and the final, output, file should have that same extension as the files you're appending.

copy /b example1.mp4 + example2.mp4 + example3.mp4 example.mp4

Be sure to create a backup of the files before you do either so you will still have the originals should you make a mistake.

Rachel Weekes

Auditioning
Real Name
Rachel Weekes
I'm using an online site, aconvert.com Maybe my files are too big or something. I think all together, they're around 500mb.
Hmmm, should be no problem with this.
>The video format can be MP4, AVI, FLV, MPG, MKV, WMV, M2TS, WEBM, ASF, MOV, M4V, RM, VOB or OGV. Video file size can be up to 1 GB.

Is everything OK with your sixth file? Can you open it? Maybe it's broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks