What's new

Columbia Tri-star. Crummiest box art award (1 Viewer)

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Now, don't get me wrong. I really really like CT, and a number of my favorite movies are from them but man.....some of that box art is atrocious.
Exhibit 1. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Final Fantasy--It looks like something made in the 80's, just odd coloring in it.
Exhibit 2. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
The Patriot---Is Mel Gibson doing a # 2 on that cover? And whats with the horrid "special addition" in mustard yellow logo.
Anyone else agree? I know that MGM and Warner have their share but I think that CT continuously has inferior artwork on their dvd's. They need to stick with their original poster art, thats where they go wrong.
------------------
If I could go back in time, I'd meet Snoopy
[Edited last by Jeff Rogers on October 05, 2001 at 10:13 AM]
[Edited last by Jeff Rogers on October 05, 2001 at 10:15 AM]

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I agree...but CTHV has to take the cake for destroying great theatrical art and making it a crummy DVD case. The best example is Hollow Man. The theatrical art for that was AWESOME!! The DVD box sucks.
Link Removed
[Edited last by Sean Moon on October 05, 2001 at 10:08 AM]

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
How could I leave out Hollow Man?? :)
It took home best honors at last years "lets hack the artwork for HV release awards"
------------------
[Edited last by Jeff Rogers on October 05, 2001 at 10:17 AM]

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Told you so...
The VHS packaging for fight club also butchers the original art. The DVD packaging is top o the line though.
------------------
card11.jpg

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
On that Goonies poster....
Sometimes I wonder who actually sits there in the marketing office and looks between the two, and WITH CONFIDENCE picks the crappy one.
Now I know that sometimes there are rights issues to fix.....but c'mon. It's almost a mockery
------------------

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jeff!
You almost got me in trouble! I laughed out loud at work when I read your #2 comment. Now everybody is looking at me funny!
Matt

William Ward

Supporting Actor
CTS also did a good job with the MIB CE box. Their case choice for Close Encounters wasn't the most inspired though...
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

James D

Second Unit
I agree that the 'Patriot' artwork is lame. They should of used the picture on the cover of the insert booklet(Mel looking tough instead of sensitive).

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Alex, I think the Mad Max art is even worse.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Kenneth English

Second Unit
laugh.gif

Here are a couple I've mentioned before but they both bear repeating:
RUNNING SCARED http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
It's Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines in Riverdance! With guns! And is Gregory Hines trying out for the next CHARLIE'S ANGELS movie or what (that position looks really uncomfortable)?
WILLOW http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Man this one is REALLY, REALLY blue, don't you think? The cover gives you absolutely no idea of the tone of the film itself. Makes it look like LEPRECHAUN 12: ATTACK OF THE ICE MIDGET...
I forget who said it (it was in a thread some weeks ago and I'm too lazy to search) but one of our fellow HTF'ers put it best: Photoshop Abuse. Plain and simple.

Ben_S

Agent
I like MGM's artwork the best. Columbia is definately the worst when it comes to cover art. Their "special edition" banners don't seem to fit with the rest of the artwork.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Well, the original 1-sheet was about the same, only slightly less lame looking. Still, it's basically Mel Gibson as THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I really get annoyed at that cover for Patroit all the time, as it just so ugly looking(it a good film still, disprite a number of below average reviews around here), but still the DVD cover for He-Man(cool cartoon by the way) takes the cake, as it just very horrible looking. It makes that Billy Crystal poster look like a work of art(too bad I can't stop laughing at it ^^).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think the worst cover art are those public domain "slide-out" cases that I think Elite uses.
Silver cover with tiny photo in the middle...
I think the greatest DVD package EVER is Lawrence of Arabia...it looks like a book AND the hubs are easy to use.
I think WB's covers for classics that use the original poster art are fantastic. I'm glad, however, that they used an original cover for Citizen Kane...the "It's Terrific" line is corny...Kane isn't terrific...it's fantastic!
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks